[Skip to content]



Person Details
Horncastle, Lincs
Robert William Clarke was born in Horncastle in 1867. His father, Thomas Allen Clarke, who was a veterinary surgeon and chemist, married Margaret Jackson in Leyburn, Yorks in 1861. Robert had nine siblings, all born between 1864 and 1881 in Horncastle or near area. Thomas Allen Clarke died 1890 at Horncastle age 51. The following census year of 1891, Robert was living with four of his siblings and his widowed mother in Baulks Street, Horncastle where his occupation is recorded as a veterinary surgeon manager and employer. In 1897 he married Mary Lizzie Fletcher but tragically it only lasted three years as she died in 1900 aged just 22. In 1901 Robert was head of his household at Silver Street, Wragby and described as a widower veterinary surgeon, own account, at home. In 1907 he married again to Jeannie Mary Ward and in 1908 had a daughter name Nancy. By 1911 Robert Carlie [sic], Jeannie and Nancy were resident at Beechouse, Wragby where Robert practiced as a veterinary surgeon. Robert left a Wil and in 1916 went to probate as follows:- Clarke Robert William of Beechouse Wragby Lincolnshire a Captain in his Majesties Army died 19 August 1916 at Cairo in Egypt Probate Lincoln 22 Dec to Jeannie Mary Clarke widow. Effects £230 10/- 9d. His widowed wife went on to re-marry. In September 1919 at Horncastle her new husband was Henry Kinnear Ovey
10 Aug 1916
49
112336 - CWGC Website
Captain
Army Veterinary Corps
Robert must have been a welcomed asset to the Army Veterinary Corps with all his veterinary experience. He was serving by 1915 as he was awarded the British, Victory and 1915 plus medals plus one emblem. He went to Egypt 22nd November 1915 and it was here that he died on either the 10th or 19th of August 1917. He is buried in the Cairo War Memorial Cemetery. He is also commemorated on the Wragby memorial Lincolnshire, and also the Lincolnshire Yeomanry Roll of Honour , situated in Lincoln Cathedral library
The Army Veterinary Corps (AVC) was formed in 1903 following pressure to reform the Army Veterinary Services after the enormous animal losses incurred in the South African War (1899-1902). In 1906 the Corps combined with the Army Veterinary Department and in 1907 Major General Sir Frederick Smith became Director General and set about reorganising the force and introducing modern veterinary methods and equipment. At the outbreak of the First World War there were 364 AVC officers; by 1918 this had increased to over 1,600 officers, with half of the members of the RCVS at that time serving in the AVC. The AVC established mobile veterinary sections to evacuate wounded animals from the front line to the veterinary hospitals. Here they were treated for battle injuries as well as exhaustion, skin diseases and the effects of gas.
Remembered on