[Skip to content]



  • Photo shows No 3 Troop 'A' Squadron Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Thomas Myers is standing in the top row 3rd from the right, photo courtesy of the Misterton and West Stockwith history group.
Person Details
Thomas Myers was born in Clapham, London in 1890. In 1911 he was resident as a single boarder at 13 Albert Terrace, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire and employed as a blacksmith’s labourer working for an engineering firm. He married a lady by the name of Gertrude, (possibly Gertrude Johnson in 1917, just prior to his death). Gertrude went on to remarry to William Boddy in 1928.
31 May 1917
27
379863 - CWGC Website
275229
Private
Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers)
Thomas joined the 1/1st Notts Yeomanry, (Sherwood Rangers) Battalion at Retford whilst being a resident of Bassingham. His Medal index Card tells us he was dispatched to Egypt on 27th April 1915. The 1/1st Sherwood Rangers served in the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Mounted Brigade in Egypt as cavalry and In 1915 it was dispatched to Gallipoli performing an infantry role and served as such for three months, receiving the "King's Colour" in recognition of its gallantry. The Regiment then returned to Egypt as cavalry, serving thereafter in North Greece and Palestine. It is not on record whether Thomas was severely wounded or contracted an illness but he was repatriated back to the UK and died at home in Bassingham, Lincs where he was buried in St Michael’s Church Yard marked with a Commonwealth War Grave Commission headstone.
CWGC additional information – Husband of Gertrude Boddy (formerly Myers), of 25, Market Place, Newark. Buried Bassingham St Micheal, Lincs – widow G Myers Kelwich Cottages, Barnby, Newark
Remembered on

Photos

  • Photo shows No 3 Troop 'A' Squadron Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Thomas Myers is standing in the top row 3rd from the right, photo courtesy of the Misterton and West Stockwith history group.
    Thomas Myers - Photo shows No 3 Troop 'A' Squadron Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Thomas Myers is standing in the top row 3rd from the right, photo courtesy of the Misterton and West Stockwith history group.