[Skip to content]

Person Details
John Booth was born in 1889 at Newark and was the son of Christopher a cottager and Annie Booth née Abbott of Staythorpe. His father Christopher was born in 1856 at Staythorpe and his mother Annie Abbott was born in 1858 at Colsterworth, they were married in 1886 at Newark, had a further son Christopher born 1893. In the 1911 census the family are living in Staythorpe village and are shown as Christopher 55 yrs a cottager , he is living with his wife Ann 53 yrs and their sons John 21 yrs a law clerk and Christopher 18 yrs an apprentice joiner. John married his wife Mable Annie Smith on 2nd April 1914 at Rolleston, they lived at 64 Lime Grove at Newark, they went on to have a son John Walter born 18th December 1916 and later a further child was born on 9th May 1918 but sadly died 10 days later on 19th May 1918 (it was born prematurely)
He was a solicitors clerk.
14 Apr 1918
2938225 - CWGC Website
64 Lime Grove, Newark
Royal Garrison Artillery
Sergeant John Booth attested on 7th December 1915 at Newark, he gave his age as 26 yrs and 77 days old, he gave his address as 64 Lime Grove, Newark, his next of kin was his wife Mable Annie Booth of the same address his occupation was that of a solicitors clerk. He was posted to the reserves the following day and was mobilised for war on 24th May 1916 and posted to the 164th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He was promoted to Corporal on 8th July 1916 and Embarked from Southampton on 4th September 1916 arriving the following day at Le Harve. He was promoted to Sergeant on 5th March 1917. He was killed in action on 14th April 1918 and is buried at Locre Hospice Cemetery, Belgium.
Article published 4th May 1918 in the Newark Herald :- Killed by a shell which dropped on an observation post. Formerly employed by Mr. A.J. Franks at the local government office, 21 Lombard Street. He took a prominent part in local friendly society work. At the time of his enlistment, May 4th, 1916, held the office of Noble Grand of the Good Samaritan Lodge, Manchester Unity of Oddfellows. He went to France on Sept. 4th, 1916 after only a few months training and at the time of his death was Acting Sgt.Major. Wounded once, in 1917 and last home on leave in Oct. 1917. News of his death was received in a letter from Rev. Burns.
Remembered on