[Skip to content]

Person Details
St Helier Jersey
Edward was the son of John Ross a customs collector and Mary Helen Isabella Buckley of Riby Grimsby Lincolshire. John and Mary had seven children in total and due to John's work moved around the country. In 1911 census the family was living at Riby Village near Grimsby Edward had left home and was an assistant school master living in at St Cuthbert's College Sparken Hill Worksop. Probate 24 April 1919 Will to Mary Helen Isabella Buckley (wife of John Ross Buckley and mother of Edward) )
In an extract from ' The Cuthbertian ' college magazine , march 1918 no 1 ;- Edward Buckley became a pupil at Worksop College in September, 1902 He soon made his mark in the school as an athlete, and in his first term became a member of the football eleven in the following summer he was in the cricket eleven. But he was by no means the mere athlete. thorough and earnest in his work he soon passed into the sixth form and became a prefect. His intellectual ability and his athletic prowess marked him out amongst his fellows. But though he was naturally a prominent figure in the school life, his innate modesty and his clear commonsense kept him within those bounds which boys of his ability are often tempted to pass. He was always popular and a favourite. His excellence on the football and cricket field, his many prizes and trophies in athletic sports all combined to make him a leader in a boys' school. At the same time his dislike of all shams and his love of justice and right had far the greater influence. His career at school was fittingly concluded by the winning of an open history exhibition at St Catharine's College, Cambridge. He showed at the University the same qualities which had endeared him to all at school. He worked hard, he played with that vigour and cleanness which he put into all his games. He became captain of his college association team, and also won his cricket, Rugby, and boating colours. He took his degree in 1908, having obtained a second class in the modern history tripes. In the same year he was welcomed back to Worksop as a master, where he stayed till the war broke out. During the five years in which Worksop boys did well both in work and play, he had a great share in their success. Gradually he became a dormitory" master, the master in charge of games, and finally O.C of the Officers' Training Corps. At the same time he coached the history scholars and exhibi­tioners of these years and took a prominent part in the Dramatic Society. A man of many parts he was thoroughly conscientious in all. His work in the O.T.C showed how earnestly he realised its importance to England. Many Old Cuthbertians will remember with gratitude the example which he gave, the life he lived, And the death he died. The first was Modesty; the second of clean, honest living; the last of self-sacrifice. One of his last acts in direct connection with the school was by his enthusiasm to enlist a large number of Cuthbertians in the 7th Lincolns soon after the war broke out. He himself at once joined the Army,and was given a commission in the Yorks.and Lancaster Regt.He was very badly wounded at the Hohenzollern ' Redoubt, so badly that it was feared that he would never walk again. But his indomitable spirit never gave way. After sometime at the depot He was sent to the front again; his latest letters were full of hope and success. "
30 Sep 1917
562118 - CWGC Website
2nd Bn York and Lancaster Regiment
Captain Edward Buckley Worksop Guardian 12 October 1917 To the long list of Old Cuthbertians who have fallen in the great cause must be added the name of Captain Edward Buckley, of the York and Lancaster Regiment. Mr. Buckley was a popular and respected master at St. Cuthbert’s, and had many friends in Worksop. At the outbreak of the war he joined up with the O. T. C. He was sent to France at an early date, and had been previously wounded. At one time he and four brothers were all in Khaki, one brother, alas was killed some time ago, and now the gallant band is further reduced. Much sympathy is expressed with his parents, who reside at Grimsby, his father, Mr. J. R. Buckley, being the secretary of the Grimsby Chamber of Commerce. An extract from the "Grimsby news" CAPTAIN E. BUCKLEY. Captain Edward Buckley was the third son of Mr. J. R. Buckley (formerly collector of Customs at this port) and Mrs. Buckley, of Riby. He was born at St. Heliers, Jersey,in 1887, and was thirty years old when killed in action on the 3oth September last, the second anniversary of the day he was wounded badly in the leg. From the effects of this former wound he never completely recovered, and it was the opinion of the medical officer who examined him that he would never be put into the battle front again, but being otherwise perfectly fit, he felt it his duty to go forward. The particulars of how he fell are supplied by a brother officer. "About 4 a.m., September 30th,the night having been bright moonlight, followed at this time by a slight mist, Captain Buckley went over the top with a wiring party, and in the act of helping a man to pull out the wire was shot in 'No man's land.' There was no mutilation of his features, he had just the natural expression of life. Death must have been instantaneous.'' It will be remembered that his youngest brother died of wounds in January of this year. His three surviving brothers, Major J. F. Buckley, Major Bruce Buckley, M.C.,and Lieutenant Bert Buckley, are still serving at the front. Captain Buckley was mentioned in despatches in January,1916. Edward is buried in Loos British Cemetery, Pas de Calais grave reference XX F 5
Following is an extract from the Cuthbertian college magazine December 1917 No 3 :- We have received the following news of Captain E.Buckley's death: "It was about four in the morning when he left his dug-out, saying he was going to watch a barbed-wiring party. I am certain he knew that he was 'for it;' like' many other fellows I know, he had a premonition that something was going to happen. He was hit through the head by a machine-gun and was killed instantly." The news of Captain Buckley's death will be a great blow to old Cuthbertians. As a boy he was a prominent member of both Cricket and Football Elevens, and an enthusiastic worker in the O.T.C. After taking his degree at Cambridge, he returned to the School as History and English master, and had charge of the Lion Dormitory (1910-14). He was also games master and took command of the Corps. He joined up in October,1914, and was at the front before the year was out. He was wounded at Hooge and was invalided home in September, 1915.His name was mentioned in the New Year despatches. Then, with the greatest difficulty and against all medical advice, he obtained permission to go out a second time. This was in July, 1917.. Two months later he was reported dead.
Remembered on