[Skip to content]

Person Details
21 Dec 1889
Barton Lancashire
Alec was the son of Alexander John a maltster and Eva Harvey of Southport. His brothers were John R and Douglas P. In the 1901 Alexander John and Eva were living at Bridge Place in Worksop while Alec was a student boarder at St Cuthbert's College Sparken Hill Worksop. Alec's effects of £269 11 shillings and 5 pence were left to his mother Eva Harvey a widow (Probate 9/12/1918).
He attended St Cuthberts College, Sparken Hill, Worksop between 1900 and 1904 and was employed at Messrs. Geo. Hadfield & Co. Ltd., Liverpool Chemical Manure Manufacturers. His uncle Herbert Horton was a senior partner in the firm.
27 Mar 1918
572274 - CWGC Website
17th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps
Alec Enlisted into the Army whilst working in Liverpool on 7th August 1914 as a private and served in the 7th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment and went out to France on 1st March 1915. During the early stages of the Somme battle he was recommended for his commission which he obtained , after training in November 1916. He returned to France in January 1917 as a second lieutenant in the 8th Battalion Scottish Rifles. Later he was transferred as Acting Captain, to the 17th King's Royal Rifle Corps and was subsequently made Captain in that Regiment. He was later wounded and taken prisoner and subsequently died as a prisoner of war on 27th March 1918 at Malincourt. He is buried at Honnechy British Cemetery Nord France Grave Reference: II D 43.
The following is an extract from 'The Cuthbertian' January 1920 issue no 1 At the outbreak of war, he was employed with his brother,2nd Lieut. D. P. Harvey, M.C., at Messrs. Geo. Hadfield & Co., Ltd., Liverpool. He joined the Army on August 7th, 1914, as a private in the 7th King's (Liverpool) Regt., and was sent out to France on March 1st, 1915. There he went through the severe fight­ing of the spring and early summer of 1915, including the disastrous enagements of Festubert and La Bassee. After about a year of trench warfare he was engaged in the early stages of the battle of the Somme, during which he was recommended for his commission,which he obtained, after training, in November, 1916. He returned to France in January, 1917, as 2nd Lieut., 8th Scottish Rifles, and took part in several engagements, including the attack on Passchendaele Ridge, where he was recommended for the M.C. Later he was transferred as Acting Captain, 17th King's Royal Rifle Corps, and was subsequently made Captain in that Regiment. It was during the great German attack in March, 1918, between Cambrai and St Quentin, that he was wounded and taken prisoner, and he succumbed to his wounds in the captured French hospital at Walmcourt, where he was buried in the military cemetery.
Remembered on