[Skip to content]

Person Details
Ernest Linsey was born in 1894 at Newark and was the son of the late George Linsey and Mary Linsey née Judson. His father was born in 1864 at Billingbrooke, Lincolnshire and died in 1903 at Newark aged 39 yrs. His mother Mary Judson was born in 1865 at Newark, they went on to have the following children, Arthur b1891, Isabella b1893, Ernest b1894, Ethel b1896, Violet b1898, Percy b1900 and Albert b1902. His mother Mary remarried in 1907 at Newark to George Evans (b1881) a labourer they went on to have a son George Evans in 1908. In the 1911 census the family are living at 1 Wellington Street, Lincoln and are shown as , George Evans 30 yrs a foundry labourer, he is living with his wife Mary Evan (Linsey) 40 yrs and children, Ernest Linsey 16 yrs a labourer, Isabella Linsey 18 yrs no occupation listed, Ethel Linsey 14 yrs , Violet Linsey 12 yrs Percy Linsey 10 yrs Albert Linsey 9 yrs and George Evans 3 yrs of age. He married his wife Emily Hurst on 24th October 1914 at St Peters Church in Lincoln. They lived at 17 Victoria Gardens Newark. He continue to suffer from his time in the army and died on 3rd October 19125 at Radcliffe on Trent.
03 Oct 1925
4th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment
He enlisted on 11th April 1912 in Lincoln, he was 17 yrs and 9 months old, he was a warehouse man. He served with the 4th battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. He landed in France on 1st March 1915. He was wounded in action on 2 occasions, 15th April 1918 a gun shot wound to his left shoulder and 19th September 1918 injury to right ankle. He also was gassed and suffered from shell shock. He was discharged from the army on 25th February 1918 to 17 Victoria Gardens, Newark. He continue to suffer from his time in the army and died on 3rd October 19125 at Radcliffe on Trent.
His brother Corporal Arthur Linsey enlisted on 9th June 1909 at Leicester, he was 18 yrs and 10 months old, he was a labourer. He was posted to the 2nd battalion Leicestershire Regiment. Went with his battalion to India in 1910 until the outbreak of war. On 12th October 1914 he landed at Marseilles France. He was wounded in action on 25th September 1915, a gun shot wound to head and back and was returned to England on 2nd October 1915 via Hospital Ship 'Egypt'. Havin g recovered from his wounds he embarked from Devonport on 21st January 1916 disembarking at Basra on 21st February 1916, he joined the 2nd battalion in the field on 1st March 1916. He was appointed to Corporal on 13th August 1916 and was killed in action on 22nd February 1917, having no known grave his name is commemorated on the Basra Memorial, Mesopotamia.
Remembered on