[Skip to content]

Person Details
Farnsfield Nottinghamshire.
Michael Price was born in 1892 at Farnsfield and was the son of the late Joseph and Isabella Price née Rawding of 5 Taylor's Court Albion Street and later 10 Victoria Gardens (both Newark Nottinghamshire). His father Joseph was born in 1850 at Newark and his mother Isabella Rawding was born in 1853 at Newark, they were married in 1870 at Newark and went on to have the following children, Mary Anne b1878 ,Joseph 1880 Newark, Henry 1884 Newark, Elizabeth b1885 Newark, and Michael b1892 Farnsfield. In the 1911 census the family are living at 5 Taylors Close, Newark and are shown as Isabella 62 yrs a widow and basket maker, she is living with her sons Henry 27 yrs a labourer and Michael 19 yrs a labourer, she states she was married for 45 yrs and had 9 children 6 of whom died in infancy or early childhood.
He was a labourer.
21 Mar 1918
1619735 - CWGC Website
2/5th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment
Private Michael Price enlisted on 28th October 1914 at Lincoln, he gave his age as 21 yrs and 140 days , he gave his occupation as that of a labourer. He was posted to the Lincolnshire Regiment and landed in France on 23rd November 1914. He was wounded in action a gun shot wound to his right thigh and admitted to field hospital on 3rd July 1916 and on 8th July 1916 was returned to England for treatment via the Hospital Ship Asturias. He was treated at the Military Hospital in Aldershot until 23rd February 1917. Following his recovery he once again embarked from Folkstone on 7th June 1917 arriving the same day at Boulogne, He was killed in action on 21st March 1918, having no known grave his name is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.
Article published 11th June 1919 in the Newark Advertiser :- Second son of Mrs Price, 10 Victoria Gardens, Newark. Prior to the war was employed by Messrs. Bradley’s foundry. Was in camp with the local Territorials at the outbreak of war, but was rejected as unfit for active service. He subsequently enlisted in the Notts. & Derbys, from which unit he was also discharged. Two months later he joined the Lincolns and in the early part of 1915 was drafted overseas. He was twelve months in hospital as a result of a bullet wound in the thigh. He again proceeded to France after his recovery and on the 21st March 1918 was posted missing, being declared dead in June 1919. It is interesting to recall that some years ago he rescued a woman from the Trent. On that occasion he was the recipient of a watch and chain from Messrs. Warwicks and Richardsons, by whom at that time he was employed. His brother Pte. Henry Price was on the reserve when war broke out and went overseas with the 1st Sherwoods, being one of the ‘Old Contempibles’. Badly wounded two years ago and discharged.
Remembered on