[Skip to content]

Person Details
Arthur Pearson was born in 1893 at Greasley and was the son of Arthur Pearson a wheelwright and Ruth Pearson née Meakin of Lynncroft Eastwood Nottinghamshire. His father Arthur Pearson was born in 1863 at Barrowby, Leicestershire and his mother Ruth Meakin was born in 1865 at Selston, they were married in 1887 their marriage was recorded in the Basford Registration District they went on to have 12 children, 3 of which sadly died in infancy or early childhood, their surviving children all born in Eastwood were John Thomas b1889, Walter b1890, Arthur b1893, Edwin b1897, Violet b1899, Gwendolyn b1901, Dorothy b1904, Francis Phillip b1908 and Sidney b1909. In the 1911 census the family are living at Hill Top, Eastwood and are shown as Arthur Pearson 48 yrs a wheelwright, he is living with his wife Ruth 46 yrs and their children, John Thomas 22 yrs a coal miner, Walter 21 yrs a coal miner, Arthur 18 yrs a coal miner, Edwin 14 yrs a coal miner, Violet 12 yrs, Gwendolyn 10 yrs, Dorothy 7 yrs, Francis Phillip 3 yrs and Sidney 2 yrs. He was married to Jane Ann Brown (born 17th September 1894) they were married in 1914 their marriage was recorded in the Basford registration district, and lived at Cross Street Hill Top Eastwood.. Commencing 5th March 1917 his widow was awarded a pension of 11 shillings a week.
He worked as a miner at High Park Colliery. He was a talented footballer who had played for the Eastwood Rangers and Shipley Boat clubs.
01 Jul 1916
809003 - CWGC Website
1/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Sergeant Arthur Pearson attested on 11th September 1914 at Nottingham, he gave his age as 21 yrs and 225 days, his address was Lyncroft, Eastwood and he was a coal miner. He was posted to the King's Royal Rifle Corps and joined them at their barracks at Winchester on 15th September 1914 however on 22nd October 1914 he was discharged from the army under King's Regulations 392 as unlikely to become an efficient solder. Later in the war he once again joined up and served with the 1/7th battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was promoted corporal after five weeks and went to France in August 1915 and became a sergeant shortly afterwards. He was killed in action on 1st July 1916 the first day of the Battle of the Somme and having no known grave his name is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on the Somme.
His younger brother Edwin was killed 11/10/1918 serving with 2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters
Remembered on


  • -
  • -