[Skip to content]



Person Details
9 East Gate New Sleafford Lincolnshire
Leonard was the son of Edward and Lizzie Gertrude Gill (née Downes). Edward and Lizzie were married on 2nd August 1888 at the Parish Church of Quarrington Lincoln. Edward was a Commercial Clerk. The parents evidently parted shortly after Leonard’s birth and in 1901 Gertrude and Leonard lived with his grandmother Mary Downes in Sleaford. In 1911 Leonard Gill was boarding at 22 Maples Street Hyson Green Nottingham whilst Gertrude managed a hotel in Skegness. Both Gill's newspaper obituary, and his probate records show his address at his date of death as being the Star and Garter Hotel Hazelford Bleasby. It is likely that his mother Gertrude was the hotel manager at the time. Gertrude later moved to Manor Cottage Upton Southwell Nottinghamshire.
He was a tobacco factory clerk in 1911.
17 Sep 1917
25
302644 - CWGC Website
R2948
Second Lieutenant
Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Served initially as a private in the Kings Royal Rifle Company. Then joined 1/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment). In 'Robin Hoods' by Officers of the Battalions on p.448 there is a mention of "Gill, Leonard Edward, 2/Lt, k. in a., 17/9/17 (M.G.C.)". It appears that GILL was attached to the Machine Gun Corps. Leonard's medal record card shows that he was deployed to Flanders in 1915, that he served initially with the Kings Royal Rifle Company, and that he was awarded the 1915 Star.
Level Crossing Cemetery, Fampoux, Pas de Calais, France.
Remembered on

Photos

  • Leonard Edward Gill -
  • The Star and Garter stands next to the site where the Hazelford Ferry used to offer a crossing of the River Trent, before the construction of the first Gunthorpe Bridge towards the end of the 19th century, after which the ferry service declined and ultimately closed. The Star and Garter is now the Hazelford Care Home.
    Star and Garter Hotel, Hazelford, Bleasby, c 1920 - The Star and Garter stands next to the site where the Hazelford Ferry used to offer a crossing of the River Trent, before the construction of the first Gunthorpe Bridge towards the end of the 19th century, after which the ferry service declined and ultimately closed. The Star and Garter is now the Hazelford Care Home.