[Skip to content]

Person Details
Newark on Trent
Richard Gill was born in 1887 at Dorrington, Lincolnshire and was the son of George Henry Gill a brewers labourer and the late Sarah Gill née Brown of 14 Cawkswells Yard, Stodman Street, Newark. His father George Henry was born in 1860 at Lasingham, Lincolnshire and his mother Sarah Brown was born in 1858 at Doddington, Lincolnshire she died in 1899 at Newark she was 40 yrs old, they were married in 1882 at Sleaford and went on to have the following children, John T b1893 Dorrington, Rose E b1886 Dorrington, Richard b1887 Dorrington and Henry b1893 Long Bennington Richard Gill married his wife Mary Ellen Pilsworth on 13th August 1910 at Newark, she brought two children to the marriage, Frederick Pilsworth b1908 and George b1910 they lived at 17, Tender Buildings, Newark. In the 1911 census Richard and his family are living at 12 Collingham Row, Queens Road, London and are shown as Richard 24 yrs a maltster, he is living with his wife Mary Ellen 23 yrs and her children Frederick Pilsworth 3 yrs and George Pilsworth 9 months of age, also living with them is Henry Gill 19 yrs a brewers labourer, a brother. In the same 1911 census his widowed father George Henry Gill 52 yrs is shown as being head of the family a widow and a brewers labourer he is living with Clara Bell 42 yrs a widow and his housekeeper.
He was a malster.
09 Aug 1915
930882 - CWGC Website
2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Private Richard Gill enlisted at Mansfield, he served with the 2nd battalion Sherwood Foresters Regiment, he was killed in action on 9th August 1915, having no known grave his name is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.
Article published on 21st August 1915 in the Newark Herald :- Son of late George Henry Gill, husband of Mary Ellen Gill of Blyton’s Yard, Newark. Served three years in the Sherwood Foresters and five on the reserve. Employed as a maltster by Messrs. Gilstrap, Earp & Co. Called up as a reservist on the outbreak of war and went out to France in Aug. 1914. Had previously been wounded and buried alive by the bursting of a German shell. From the effects of which he was unable to walk for 29 days. Killed by a sniper, shot through the head
Remembered on