[Skip to content]

  • Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone marking his grave at Coxyde Military Cemetery, Belgium. Photograph courtesy of Murray Biddle
Person Details
Norwell Nottinghamshire
Harry Lawford Hunt was the second son of Frank Dixon Hunt and Mary Ann Hunt (née Hubbard). His father was born in Eagle, Lincolnshire, in 1855 birth name Frank Dixon. He was recorded on the 1871 census as Frank D Hunt (16), apprentice, and was living with Robert and Sarah Barlow in Lincolnshire; he was probably apprenticed to Robert who was a master wheelwright. By the time of the 1881 Census Frank was working as a wheelwright and living at Eagle Moor, Lincolnshire, with Thomas Hunt and his wife Ann (66); he was described as Thomas' foster son. Both Thomas and Ann were born in Coddington, Nottinghamshire, and recorded as 'pauper out relief'. Also in the household was Tom Roberts Hunt (15, birthplace unknown), an agricultural worker, also described as Thomas' foster son, and Annie L Hunt (8 b. Eagle), Thomas' foster child. His mother Mary Ann Hubbard was born in Claypole, Lincolnshire, in about 1861. Frank and Mary Ann were married at St Leonard's, Newark, on 7 April 1887. They had four children who were all born in Norwell between 1888 and 1985: Arthur Godfrey, Harry Lawford, Gladys and Eleanor Frances. In 1891 Frank (36) and Mary Ann (29) were living at Southfield House, Ossington Road, Norwell, with their three children, Arthur (2), Harry (1) and Gladys (under 1 year). The family had moved to Brown's Yard, Village Street, Norwell, by 1901. All four children were in the home on the night of the census: Arthur, Harry, Gladys and Eleanor (6). Eleanor died in 1910. Frank and Mary Ann were living at 15 Kelham Villas, Newark, by 1911; Frank was still working as a wheelwright. Only two of their three surviving children were in the home on the night of the census, Harry a malster's analytical chemist and Gladys a coal merchant's clerk. Also in the household was a boarder, Frederick Hayward (19 b. Wrexham Wales), a manager for a cigar merchant. The family home was still at 15 Kelham Villas when Harry was killed in 1918. Harry was engaged to Florence E. Wilkinson of Appletongate, Newark, and was killed within days of their wedding for which he had been granted special leave. Harry's father, Frank Dixon Hunt, died in 1932. His brother Arthur Godfrey was living with his wife Ethel (née Noton) in Upton, near Southwell, when he attested on 15 August 1916. Arthur, who was a van driver, enlisted in the Royal Naval Air Service as an Aircraftsman II (F19265), advanced to Aircraftsman I on 30 April 1917. He served with the BEF France (Vendome) from 1 April 1918 when he transferred to the Royal Air Force. Arthur was reclassified as Aircraftsman I (labourer) on 1 January 1919 then promoted to Leading Aircraftsman on 1 August 1919. Arthur was retained to serve in the army of occupation (84 Wing); he did not transfer to the RAF Reserve until 23 November 1919 and was then discharged from the RAFR on 30 April 1920. He qualified for the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Harry was educated at The Mount School, Newark, and later attended the Newark School of Art. He worked at Messrs Gilstrup Earl and Co., Maltsters, for 12 years as an analytical chemist.
29 May 1918
89836 - CWGC Website
15 Kelham Road (sic) Newark. Enlisted Nottingham
Second Lieutenant
Royal Marine Artillery
Siege Guns RMA Harry Lawford Hunt joined the Royal Marine Artillery on 5th February 1916 (1718 Private). His service record gives his age on enlistment as 26y 5m 11d and date of birth as 26 August 1888 although his birth was registered in the 4th quarter of 1889. He was advanced to Gunner 2nd Class on 7 July 1916, paid as Acting Bombardier from 21 July and promoted Gunner on 5 September the same year. He was drafted to Cyclops II at Scapa Flow, Orkney, on 21 July 1916. He served to 22 June 1917 when he was selected for a commission and undertook officer training from 23 June 1917 to 7 August 1917 when he was granted a temporary commission as a second lieutenant. He was posted to Flanders where he was commended for his 'excellent work' with the Royal Marine Artillery siege guns. He was wounded in action in January 1918 but later returned to his unit. Harry was killed in action on 29th May 1918 and was buried at Coxyde Military Cemetery, Koksijde, Belgium (grave reference III.K.5).
CWGC headstone personal inscription: 'A noble life laid down' Report published 8th June 1918 in the Newark Herald :- 'Second son of Frank & Mary Ann Hunt, 15 Kelham Road, Newark. Born at Norwell and came to Newark as a boy, where he went to the Mount School. Later attended the School of Art and took up duties in the office of Messrs. Gilstrap, Earp & Co. Malsters. Where he was employed for twelve years prior to joining the R.M.A. on Feb. 6th, 1916. He was promoted Bombardier in record time and proceeded to Scapa Flow on July 19th, 1916. After eleven months there, he was recommended for a commission in June 1917 and passed out with honours on the Aug. 15th, 1917. He went to Flanders on Oct. 8th, 1917 and his good work with the siege guns was frequently commended. He was wounded in action on the Jan. 14th, 1918. Was engaged to Miss Florence E. Wilkinson of Appletongate, at the time of his death.'
Remembered on


  • Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone marking his grave at Coxyde Military Cemetery, Belgium. Photograph courtesy of Murray Biddle
    Harry Lawford Hunt - Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone marking his grave at Coxyde Military Cemetery, Belgium. Photograph courtesy of Murray Biddle