[Skip to content]

  • This photo was originally published in the Worksop Guardian.
Courtesy of Robert Illett
Person Details
Worksop, Notts
William and Elizabeth Shaw made their living as inn keepers. In 1881 they were living on 88 Bridge Street being the inn keeper of the Old Bull Inn and in 1891 were in 41 Norfolk Street, Green Dale Oak Inn, Worksop. Over their mar-ried life they had eight children, Mary A, Emily, Alice, William, Francis, George Fred and Albert. In 1897, the year after Albert was born, William, the head of the family, died age 52. In 1901, all the grown children had left home leaving only Elizabeth Shaw and her youngest son, Albert who were now living at 16 Portland Street. Elizabeth was living on own means and Albert was working as a domestic groom. 10 years later, still at the same address, mother and son were still resident, Albert now a colliery screen labourer. On the 9 Dec 1915, he was attested, put on re-serve, and mobilised 3 March 1916.
05 Aug 1917
167120 - CWGC Website
1/5th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Pte Albert Shaw Worksop Guardian 17 August 1917 In our last issue we referred to the uncertainty existing with regard to Pte. Albert Shaw, Sherwood Foresters, son of Mrs. E Shaw, widow, 16, Portland Street, Worksop, who was reported to be in hospital dangerously wounded. The worst fears respecting him have been confirmed, as his mother has now been notified of her brave son’s death. The information is conveyed in a letter from the Rev. K. A. Lake, Church of England Chaplain, who, writing from the casualty clearing station on August 7th. Says:- “Dear Mrs. Shaw,- You will have heard the sad news of your dear boy’s death some time before you receive this letter, but I am sure you will like to hear a little more about him. He was brought here on Sunday last, suffering from wounds. His arm (left) was badly wounded, and he also had serious wounds in the legs. His state on admission gave us great anxiety, but he rallied his strength, and the surgeon treated his wounds. I grieve to say that later on he took a turn for the worse and passed away about 7.30. He did not seem to be in much pain, but it was the shock of the wounds which were too great for him. I saw him and we had a talk together, and I said a few prayers with him. He seemed quite easy in his mind. I told him I would write to you: he had no special message, but sent his love and said you were not to worry about him. I laid him to rest in our beautiful Cemetery yesterday afternoon and my thoughts went out to you and yours, for I know how much you would have liked to be there. He is at peace with his Redeemer, and like Him has laid down his life for his friends, and won his crown of life. Please except my very deepest sympathy and sincerest condolences in this great grief which has fallen upon you, and may God comfort you and give you strength to bear it... Your boy had the very best care and treatment, and everything was done for his comfort. His end was a very peaceful one. With much sorrow and all good wishes,-Yours sincerely, W. A. Lake.” Poor Shaw, he was a gallant young man, a good son, and a staunch friend. He was 32 years of age, and before enlistment was a motor driver in the employ of the Worksop Co-op Society. He had been in France since July last year, during which time he sent home several souvenirs of the battlefield, including a fine German helmet. (Photo included in original publication)
He is buried in Chocques Military Cemetery, France. Research by Colin Dannatt
Remembered on


  • This photo was originally published in the Worksop Guardian.
Courtesy of Robert Illett
    Albert Shaw - This photo was originally published in the Worksop Guardian. Courtesy of Robert Illett