[Skip to content]

Person Details
Southwell, Nottinghamshire
Henry Christopher Bush was born in 1897 at Southwell and was the son of Henry a farm labourer and Mary Lizzie Bush née Wombwell of Hawton Rd., Farndon, Newark. His father Henry was born in 1872 at Helpringham, Lincolnshire and his mother Mary Lizzie Wombwell was born in 1877 at Southwell, they were married in 1896 at Southwell and went on to have the following children, Henry Christopher b1897 Southwell, Hilda Mary b1899 Rolleston, Charles William b1901 Southwell and Thomas Archibald b1903 Southwell, In the 1911 census the family are living at Rolleston village and are shown as Henry 39yrs a farm labourer, he is living with his wife Mary Lizzie 34 yrs and their children Henry Charles 14 yrs a scholar, Hilda Mary 12 yrs a scholar, Charles William 10 yrs a scholar and Thomas Archibald 8 yrs.
24 Oct 1918
536381 - CWGC Website
Farndon, Nottinghamshire
Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Private Henry Charles Bush enlisted in July 1915 at Mansfield and served with the 23rd (Service) battalion (1st Sportsman's) Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). He went to France in November 1915. He was twice wounded returning to England on 13th November 1916 with trench foot and a bullet wound. He went out to East Africa on 22nd July 1917 however was returned to England once more suffering with Malaria on 1st February 1918. Once more went back out to France on 18th August 1918 and died of wounds (gunshot wound to his abdomen) on 24th October 1918 and is buried at Awoingt British Cemetery, Nord, France grave reference I.E.8
Article published on 9th November 1918 in the Newark Herald :- Eldest son of Mr & Mrs H. Bush, Hawton Road, Farndon, late of The Fields, Rolleston. Employed by Mr G.T. Hollingsworth, Edwinstowe before enlisting in July 1915. Drafted to France in Nov. 1915, he was twice wounded, coming to England on Nov. 13th, 1916 suffering from trench foot and bullet wounds. Went out to East Africa on July 22nd, 1917 and returned home again with malaria on Feb. 1st, 1918. Went out to France on Aug. 18th. Died in hospital of a gunshot wound to the abdomen, at 11:30 pm on Oct. 24th. Later addition to the new (second) Farndon Memorial 27183.
Remembered on