[Skip to content]

Person Details
Worksop, Notts
Ernest Edward Dewsnap was the 8th of 9 children born to John & Mary Dewsnap. He was born in 1888 in Worksop like all his siblings, living at Marecroft. In 1901 when Ernest was 13, he was working as a farm labourer. His mother died in Worksop in 1910 age 60. The following year, the family home in Marecroft appears to have been given up as both Ernest and his widower father, John, were living in the house of his sister, Mary Rollinson, her husband and their 5 children, 227 Sandy Lane. Ernest was now employed as a quarry man.
18 Jul 1915
1609932 - CWGC Website
1/8th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Ernest Dewsnap had joined the old Volunteer Force and served with the 4th Notts and Derbys 20th Nov 1905. On the 1st April 1908, the new Territorial Force was formed and on the 13 April 1908, he transferred to the 8th Notts and Derby Terriers. He undertook his annual training at Scarborough on 7/6/1908, 25/7/1909, 31/7/1910, 30/7/1911 and at Hindlow 31/7/1910 and Thorsby Park, 27/7/1913. He was appointed L/Cpl on 26/9/1914 and further promoted to Cpl 11/11/1914. As a Territorial he was embodied into service on the 5th August 1914. On the 2nd March 1915 he went with the British Expeditionary Force to France, and was killed just over 4 months later. His sister, Mary Rollingson of 274 Kilton Road, dealt with his personal effects and communications with the Army after his death. Corpl. Dewsnap Worksop Guardian 30 July 1915 'This week we are again called upon to chronicle the death in action of of yet another of Worksop’s brilliant soldier sons. vis. Corpl. Ernest Dewsnap attached to the 8th Batt. of the Notts and Derby Regiment (Sherwood Foresters, Territorials), son of Mr John and the late Mrs Dewsnap of 247 Kilton Road, Worksop and brother of Mrs Rollinson of the same address. Corporal Dewsnap who is 27 years of age, had served four separate terms of three years each in the Territorials, having 12 years service to his credit. He was well known in the town. The following letter has been received by Mr Dewsnap from Lieu-Colonel G Herbert Fowler:- “I am sorry to have to write to tell you that your son was shot on the 18th inst., in a wood behind the trenches we are holding. He died almost immediately. We were very close to the Germans, and a lot of bullets kept coming through the wood. He was shot by a chance one in the body. By his death, the Battalion loses an excellent NCO, and I am sure I am expressing the feelings of the whole of the Battalion when I say how very, very sorry we all are, and what sympathy we feel for his family in their sad loss. He was buried the same night in the military cemetery in the wood. One of our officers, who is a clergyman, officiated. The only consolation I can find is, that he died as an Englishman and for his King and country at a crisis in our existence. With renewed sympathy, believe me, Yours very truly. “ Dewsnap was a playing member of the “G” (Worksop) Company of the Notts and Derby Regiment when that Company won the football challenge cup at Thoresby Park in 1913. The greatest sympathy of our readers will go to every member of Corpl. Dewsnap’s family, in their bereavement. Pathetic interest attaches to the photograph we publish of him, it being re-produced from a snapshot taken by the “Guardian” photographer on the day England declared war. We printed the photograph in August above the words “The type of man England is sending to the front. Lance-Corporal E Dewsnap of the Territorials.” Dewsnap was later promoted to full Corporal.' Corpl. Ernest Dewsnap Worksop Guardian 6 August 1915 'News has been received in Worksop confirming the information published in the “Guardian” last week that Corpl. Ernest Dewsnap, attached to the 8th Notts and Derby Regiment (Territorial Force) son of Mr and Mrs John Dewsnap of 247 Kilton Road, Worksop and brother of Mrs Rollinson, of the same address, has been killed in action. He was formerly employed by Mr D J Hornsea of the Home Brewery Company, and writing to Mr Hornsea, Company Sergt.-Major J A Green, a Clayworth man, gives particular of the poor man’s death. He says, “ I am sorry to tell you of the death of Corporal Dewsnap, one of your men. He was one of the best NCO’s and we shall miss him. He was shot by a sniper and died half an hour later. He did not suffer. He did good work in the trenches and died a soldier’s death for his King and country.' Corporal Dewsnap was a witness to an accident in the trenches on 17 July 1915 in which 983 Corporal Frank Godson, 'C' Coy, 8th Bn Sherwood Foresters, was accidentally killed. Dewsnap's statement was presented to the Court of Enquiry which sat on 29 July 1915, eleven days after Dewsnap's death. See entry for Frank Godson on this ROH for further details.
Commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium. Research by Colin Dannatt. Additional information ref death of Cpl Godson - Rachel Farrand
Remembered on