[Skip to content]

Person Details
Leonard Short was born in 1899 at Newark and was the son of George a hotel porter and Mary Eliza Short née Ryder of 22 Newton Street, Newark. His father George Short was born in 1870 at Grantham and his mother Mary Eliza Ryder was born in 1869 at Newark, they were married in 1895 at Huddersfield and went on to have the following children, Mabel b1897 Huddersfield, Ada b1898 Newark, Leonard b1899 Newark, Albert b1902 Newark and Phyllis b1904 Lincoln. In the 1911 census the family are living at 89 Maple Street, Bracebridge, Lincoln and are shown as George 41 yrs a hotel porter, he is living with his wife Mary Eliza 42 yrs and their children, Mabel 14 yrs an apprentice milliner, Ada 13 yrs a scholar, Leonard 11 yrs a scholar, Albert 9 yrs a scholar and Phyllis 7 yrs a scholar.
He was a hairdresser upon enlistment
12 Oct 1918
291050 - CWGC Website
22 Newton Street, Newark
1st Bn Norfolk Regiment
Private Leonard Short was called up for service on 16th October 1917 at Nottingham, he was 18 years and 1 month old, he was living at 22 Newton Street, Newark and was a hairdresser, he gave his next of kin as his father George of the same address, his religion was that of the Church of England. He was sent to the local depot at Derby where on 18th October he was posted to the 13th Training Reserve Battalion. On 15th May 1918 he embarked from Dover arriving the same day at Calais, he was transferred to the 1st battalion Norfolk Regiment on 17th May 1918. On the 30th September 1918 he was admitted to the 34th Casualty Clearing station suffering from wounds received whilst in action. He died from these wounds on 12th October 1918 and is buried at Grevillers British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. 17.A.17
Article published on 6th November 1918 in the Newark Advertiser :- Son of George & Mary Eliza Short, 22 Newton Street, Newark. Only 19 years of age on Sept. 12th, At the outbreak of war he served on the coast with the Sea Scouts and enlisted a fortnight before his time as he wanted to go as a volunteer. He joined the Sherwood Foresters and was transferred to the 1st Norfolks when arriving in France on May 15th. Prior to enlisting he worked for Mr Higgs, Lincoln. Admitted to hospital (No. 34 Casualty Clearing Station) on 30th Sept. with a bad wound in the chest and seemed to be getting along all right, but gradually he got weaker and weaker. Passed away on (Saturday 12th) at 3 p.m.
Remembered on