[Skip to content]

Person Details
Joseph was born in 1890 in Nottingham and was the eldest son of the late James Hutchinson Lewis a photographer and Sarah Lewis née Dulson of 2, Garnet St., Gordon Rd., Nottingham, His father James Hutchinson Lewis was born in 1867 in Ireland, his mother Sarah Dulson was born in 1865 in Bilston Staffordshire, they went on to marry in 1889 in Nottingham and had 5 children all of whom were born in Nottingham, Joseph b1890, Elizabeth b1891, Sarah b1893, Marie b1896 and Edwina b1899, following their marriage they lived at 20 Sherwin Street, Nottingham On 23rd October 1901 his father James Hutchinson died in South Africa ( his probate proved in Nottingham on 9th December 1901 shows him as James Hutchinson Lewis of 14 Heskey Street, Nottingham, a photographer died on 23rd October 1901 at Krugerdorp South Africa, his effects of £314 and 2 shillings were left to his widow Sarah) In the 1911 census his family are living at 2 Garnet Street, Nottingham and are shown as Sarah 46 yrs a widow, she is living with her children Joseph 21 yrs a butcher, Elizabeth 20 yrs a pattern girl in the lace industry, Sarah 18 yrs a curtain folder in the lace industry, Marie 15 yrs a stationary worker and Edwina 12 yrs a scholar also at the address is a nephew of Sarah , Cyril Dulson 23 yrs a coach painter.
He was a butcher in 1911
04 Jun 1915
690360 - CWGC Website
4th Bn Worcestershire Regiment
Private Joseph Lewis, enlisted at Worcester whilst residing in Nottingham he served with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He landed in the Balkans on 25th April 1915 . He was killed in action on 4th June 1915 at Gallipoli and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial Gallipoli.
The battalion war diary recorded the day's events: “The Artillery bombardment commenced at 9.30 a.m. for registering purposes. At 10.30 a.m. and on to 11.30 a.m. the Artillery fired very much. A rest was then called for ten minutes. The bombardment started again at 11.40 and continued with rapidity for seventy minutes which brought us to 12. Midday. All watches having been synchronised this was the time for the Infantry to start. The whistle was blown by the Officer Commanding the first line as a caution to get ready and the second for them to leap out over the parapets and they did it to a man. It was just glorious and magnificent to see our gallant lads get out of the trenches, not a slack amongst them wih [sic] the first line was taken with comparatively few losses but resulted us in taking about 200 prisoners, and enabled us to push on to our objective which we gained at 1.45 p.m. No fresh orders were received to advance as the left flank had been unable to advance. “The enemy's trenches were converted to be used as fire trenches, and thus a successful day ended.” Above information is courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918
Remembered on