[Skip to content]

Person Details
Carrington Nottingham
Harold was born in 1882 in Carrington, Nottingham, and was the son of Waring Hunt, a policeman, and his wife Mary (née Marriott). His father Waring Hunt was born in 1856 in Sutton in Ashfield and his mother Mary Marriott was born in 1855, also in Sutton in Ashfield. They were married in 1874 (Mansfield registration district) and had four children: Clara b. Sutton in Ashfield 1875, Annie b. Bulwell 1880, Harold b. Carrington 1882 and Henry b. Sneinton 1890 in Sneinton. Harold's mother Mary died aged 59 in 1914 (reg. Mansfield). His father married Harriet Tomkins in 1917 (reg. Mansfield). In the 1911 census Harold, a coal miner hewer, was lodging with the Dunn family at 6 York Street, Sutton in Ashfield. Nottinghamshire. He married Florence Mabel Blackburn (b. 1887) of Sutton in Ashfield in 1912 (reg. Mansfield). There were no children of the marriage. His widow may have died in 1974 (J/A/S Plymouth Devon).
He was a coal miner (Summit Colliery)
16 Sep 1916
515140 - CWGC Website
Enlisted Doncaster
5th Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Harold Hunt enlisted in Doncaster and served with 1/5th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He died of wounds on 16th September 1916 and is buried in St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen.
Harold's wife's brother, Charles Blackburn, enlisted in the Durham Light Infantry in 1916 aged 18. He was transferred to the Army Reserve (W) after less than three months service but was later found to be unfit for service. A medical report in March 1918 confirmed that his medical condition - from the description probably a form of tuberculosis - had been aggravated during military service. He died at his home in Sutton in Ashfield the following month and is buried in Sutton in Ashfield cemetery, CWGC headstone. (See record on this Roll of Honour) From an article published in 'Notts. Free Press,' dated 17th November 1916. 'The matron of the hospital wrote to the family of the former Summit Colliery miner. “Your letter was handed to me a day or so ago. I attended to your husband the day and the evening he died. He passed away at 9.30 p.m. on September 16th, and he had very severe wounds, but was cheerful all day. He spoke of his wife, and I understood him to say a letter had been written to you. He was conscious until about 5 p.m. and then was delirious and thought he was back in the trenches. He did not send any message, as he hoped to get better, and mentioned early in the day about when it came his turn for Blighty. Please accept my deep sympathy, and I feel it must be some comfort to know he was cared for in hospital at the end. It seems terrible when they do not reach a hospital.” Above courtesy of Jim Grundy and facebook Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918
Remembered on