[Skip to content]

Person Details
Otterbourne, Hampshire
Charles Lionel Richard Haines was born in 1891 at Otterbourne, Hampshire, he was baptised on 27th December 1891 at St Marys Church, Newington Southwark. He was the son of Charles James an engineer and Amelia Emma Haines née Adams of 'Rogate' 76 Worple Road Wimbledon. His father Charles James was born in 1861 at Bermondsy, London and his mother Amelia Emma Adams was born in 1867 at Otterbourne, Hampshire. They were married on 11th July 1888 at St Marys Newington , Southwark, they had a further child Millicent Ethel born 1894 at Otterbourne. In the 1911 census his family were living at 76 Worple Road, Wimbledon and are shown as Charles James 50 yrs an engineer, he is living with his wife Amelia Emma 46 yrs and their daughter Millicent Ethel 17 yrs a student. In the same 1911 census Charles has left his home and is living at 8 West End Terrace, Balderton, Newark, he is shown as being 19 yrs single and a boarder, he is an engineers apprentice and is living with John Hardy 60 yrs a builders carpenter and his wife Mary.
He was an engineers apprentice at Simpsons Engineers.
10 Oct 1915
385427 - CWGC Website
Royal Engineers
Sergeant Charles Lionel Richard Haines enlisted at Rugby and served with the 73rd Field Company, Royal Engineers. He was wounded by shrapnel at Loos and later died at the Royal Victoria Netley Hospital a fortnight later, on 10th October 1915 pneumonia and pleurisy having developed He is buried at Wandsworth (Putney Vale) Cemetery and Crematorium.
Article published 20th October 1915 in the Newark Advertiser :- Only son of Charles James & Amelia Emma Haines of “”Rogate””, 76 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London. Came to Newark to be apprenticed to the engineering at Messrs. Simpsons. He was a student and latterly a successful teacher at the Newark School of Science and Art. A member of Newark Hockey Club and Newark Rowing Club, winning the Marsh Cup in 1912 & 1913 and in the winning four for the Clinton Cup in 1912. He was hit by shrapnel at Loos, with a party that was bridging the German first lines for the reserves to cross when he was struck. Died at Netley Hospital a fortnight later, pneumonia and pleurisy having supervined.
Remembered on