[Skip to content]

Person Details
Thomas Carter Huckerby was born in 1894 at Newark and was the son of the late John William and Jane Elizabeth Huckerby née Mills of 21 Lime Grove, Newark. His father John William was born in 1860 at Newark, he died in 1898 at Newark aged 38 yrs, his mother Jane Elizabeth Mills was born in 1863 also at Newark, they were married in 1887 at Newark, they went on to have the following children, Olga Catherine b1888, Gertrude Stella b1890, Hilda Priscilla b1892 and Thomas Carter b1894, all were born in Newark. In the 1911 census the family are living at 6 Spring Gardens, Newark and are shown as Jane Elizabeth Huckerby 48 yrs a widow, she is living with her children Olga Catherine 23 yrs a shop assistant, Gertrude Stella 21 yrs a home help, Hilda Priscilla 19 yrs a milliner and Thomas Carter 17 yrs a linotype operator, printing
He was a linotype operator
19 Sep 1918
1743955 - CWGC Website
1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment
Private Thomas Carter Huckerby enlisted at East Retford whilst residing at Newark , he initially served with the service number 2028 in the Sherwood Rangers (Nottinghamshire Yeomanry) . He later transferred to the 1st battalion Leicestershire Regiment and was killed in action on 19th September 1918 and having no known grave his name is commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.
Article published in the Newark Herald 16th November 1918 :- Only son of Mrs J.E. Huckerby, 21 Lime Grove, Newark and late Mr J.W. Huckerby. As a boy attended the Christ Church Day School and also the Baptist Sunday School, of which, for a short time he was secretary. On leaving school he was apprenticed at the Newark Advertiser as a linotype operator. When his indentures were completed, he worked as a journeyman on a Yarmouth newspaper, from where he enlisted. Prior to the war he was in the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry for three years. Although not called up in August 1914, he was soon afterwards called to the reserve regiment, with whom he was some time in England. He was afterwards transferred to the 1st Leicesters and in February proceeded to the front. Once being wounded by the accidental discharge of his rifle.
Remembered on