[Skip to content]

Person Details
Walesby, Lincolnshire
Albert was born in 1860 in Walesby, Lincolnshire and was the son of Thomas Jollands and Elizabeth Toulson . He married his wife Mary Webb Rolph in 1883 , their marriage was recorded in the Horncastle Registration District they lived at 11 Selkirk Street, Carrington, Nottinghamshire. They had the following children all born in Newark , Albert b1884 Edward b1886, Roaney b1887 Alice Mills b1887, Eustace b1888, Dorothy b1890 and Florence Mary b1892. In the 1911 census the family are living at Fiskerton, Nottinghamshire and are shown as Albert 50 yrs a horse trainer , he is living with his wife Mary 52 yrs and their daughter Florence Mary 18yrs
24 Aug 1915
2803467 - CWGC Website
South Nottinghamshire Hussars
Corporal Albert Jollands enlisted at Nottingham and served with the 2/1st South Nottinghamshire Hussars, he died in an accident on 24th August 1915, in camp at Norfolk. He is buried in Narford St. Mary's Churchyard, Norfolk.
Article published 28th August 1915 in the Nottingham Evening Post :- The inquest into the death of Cpl. Albert Jollands, South Notts. Hussars in Norfolk was held on 24th August 1915. “CAMP TRAGEDY. “NOTTM. SOLDIER BURNED TO DEATH. “Corporal Albert Jollands, the letter-carrier of the South Notts. Hussars, has died from burns in a rustic hut in the regimental camp, a newspaper which he was reading having accidentally caught fire from a candle and set the hut alight. The inquest was held on Thursday. [26th August 1915]. “The deceased, who was 54 years of age, lived at 4, White-yard, Nottingham. He was formerly well-known in racing circles. He had made himself well liked by the officers and men, and had built himself a little hut in a secluded part of a wood within the precincts of the camp. Here he used to sleep in solitude. “Edward Powley, schoolmaster, of Peterborough, who was staying in the neighbourhood of the camp, stated that the hut which deceased built for himself was made of birch poles, with a roof of tarred felt. The sides were filled in with deal wood from broken boxes. He also had a small wooden bed inside, on which witness had seen him lying on his back reading, with a lighted candle on his chest. Witness saw him outside the hut at six o’clock on the 24th inst., just before he started his postman‘s rounds, and again at ten o’clock, when he went inside the hut, and drew the curtains. “Wilfred Johnson gave evidence of seeing the hut in flames, and finding Jollands lying face downwards. It was impossible to get close to the deceased, because of the heat. The hut was burned out. “The Rev. Walter Sidney Hildesley, chaplain to the forces, said that at 10.50 that night, he saw the deceased’s body lying in the hut, with letters addressed to him underneath his body. He had no doubt it was the deceased. “The Coroner said there was no doubt he was tired, and dropped sleep, and the paper caught fire and lighted the inflammable hut in which he lived. A verdict of “Accidental death was returned.” In memoriam published 24th August 1916 in the Nottingham Evening Post :- “JALLANDS. [sic] – In loving memory of Corpl. Albert Jallands, accidentally burned to death at Narford Park, Swaffam, August 24th, 1915. Gone, but not forgotten. – Wife and daughter Mate Above article and in memoriam are courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918 Article published on 1st September 1915 in the Newark Advertiser :- Husband of Mary Jollands, 11 Selkirk Street, Carrington, Notts. At one time licensee of the ‘Clinton Arms’ in Newark and became a man of substance from small beginnings. He was at one time the owner of several smart chasers, the most notable of which was ‘Clawson’. In addition to winning many steeplechases, ‘Clawson’ competed in the Grand National, finishing in the first flight. At one time farmed at Balderton and at Long Clawson. For many years he hunted with the Notts. and Belvoir packs. Died of burns in a rustic hut which he had erected in the regimental camp near Swaffham. He was observed to enter the hut on Tuesday night and shortly afterwards the place was ablaze, the alarm raised by another soldier, Wilfred Johnson. It was known that he read the newspaper lying in bed and with a candle on his chest. The inquest recorded a verdict of “Accidental Death”. Major Gorle said that he had always been highly respected by both officers and men. The burial service was conducted by the Chaplain, Rev. Walter Hildesley and the firing party under the command of Sgt. Gunther.
Remembered on