[Skip to content]

Person Details
Ernest Mountney was born in 1888 at Newark and was the son of John a council gardener and Elizabeth Mountney, née Bish of 22, North Gate, Newark. His father John was born in 1853 at Hoveringham and his mother Elizabeth Bish was born in 1856 at Gonalston, they were married in 1876 their marriage was recorded in the Southwell Registration district, they went on to have 7 children sadly 4 were to die in infancy or early childhood. Their surviving children were Harry b1877, George b1882 and Ernest b1888 all were born in Newark. In the 1911 census his parents are living at 22 Northgate, Newark and are shown as John 58 yrs a gardener for the local council he is living with his wife Elizabeth 55 yrs. His father John died on 13th February 1912 at Newark.
Attended the Wesleyan School before being apprentice plumber at Messrs. Harvey Brothers, Castlegate.
03 Aug 1916
48176 - CWGC Website
19th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Private Ernest Mountney enlisted in Newark in 1899 and served with the 1st battalion Sherwood Foresters. He served in India until the battalions returned to England at the outbreak of the war. He was serving with the 19th battalion Sherwood Foresters when on 4th July 1916 was wounded in the head, arm and both legs, and admitted to the 13th general hospital, dying there on 3rd August 1916. He is buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.
Article published 16th August 1916 in the Newark Advertiser :- Youngest son of the late John & Elizabeth Mountney, 22 Northgate, Newark. Attended the Wesleyan School before being apprenticed to the plumbing at Messrs. Harvey Brothers, Castlegate. The term of his apprenticeship had almost been completed, when with several of his chums, including Herbert Carter, he joined the 1st Sherwood Foresters about nine years ago. Was in India in Oct. 1914 when the regiment was recalled. He had three days leave in Newark and in November proceeded to France. He had not been out a month when he was invalided home suffering from rheumatism and frost-bitten feet. In April 1915 he was wounded in the left hand. The next month was severely wounded in the head and remained at Colchester Hospital for a long time. In Feb. 1916 he contracted blood poisoning but recovered. However, on 4th July was wounded in the head, arm and both legs, dying in a base hospital.
Remembered on