[Skip to content]

Person Details
East Bridgeford
Edward Smith was born in 1889 at East Bridgford and was the son of Arthur a fitter and Mary Smith née Bates of 13, Sleaford Rd., Newark. His father Arthur was born in 1848 at Leicester and his mother Mary Ann Bates was born in 1867 at Hough on the Hill, Leicestershire, they were married in 1888 at Newark, they went on to have 6 children, sadly two were to die in infancy or early childhood, their surviving children were , Edward b 1889 East Bridgford, Annie b1885 Newark, Amy b1895 Newark and Rachel b1901 Newark. In the 1911 census the family are at different address , his father Arthur is living alone at 4 Victoria Gardens, Balderton, he is shown as a fitter (unemployed,) 63 yrs and married His mother Mary is boarding at 71 Hatton Gardens, Newark, she is boarding with John Henry Brummitt 58 yrs a brush maker and his family, Mary is shown as being married 40 yrs a machinist she has two of her children with her , Amy Smith 18 yrs also a machinist and Rachel 10 yrs a scholar. Edward Smith by now has joined the Army and is living at St Georges barracks, London, he is with the 3rd battalion Grenadier Guards, he is shown as being 22 yrs and a private soldier.
He was an ironworker and soldier
21 Oct 1915
172430 - CWGC Website
4th Bn Grenadier Guards
Private Edward Smith served with the 3rd battalion Grenadier Guards between 1910 and 1913. On the outbreak of he was mobilised and joined his old regiment. later transferring to the 4th battalion, he died on 21st October 1915 at the stationary hospital at Rouen, he was buried at St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France.
Article published 27th October 1915 in the Newark Advertiser :- Son of Arthur & Mary Smith, 13 Sleaford Road, Newark. Served his apprenticeship at Messrs. Nicholson and Son’s ironworks on completion of which he heard the call of the army and enlisted in the 3rd Grenadier Guards, in which he served three years (1910 – 1913). He afterwards was employed by Messrs. Simpson and Co. On August 5th, 1914 he was called up and rejoined his old regiment, later transferred to the 4th Reserve Battalion, going to the front on Sept. 12th. Wounded on Nov. 7th and came to England on the 18th. Being in hospital at Glasgow for six weeks and after visiting Newark on a short furlough, returned to headquarters where he remained for sometime. On Aug. 16th, 1915 he again went to Belgium. Died of wounds in the stationary hospital, Rouen.
Remembered on