[Skip to content]

Person Details
Toddington Bedfordshire
John James Tailby was born in 1887 at Toddington, Bedfordshire and was the son of James a butcher and Elizabeth Tailby née Asher. His father James was born in 1851 at Desborough, Northamptonshire and his mother Elizabeth Asher was born in 1853 at Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire, they were married on 3rd May 1875 their marriage was recorded in the Kettering registration district and went on to have the following children, John James b1877, Frank b1883 and Ethel Mary b1883 all were born in Toddington . His father James died in 1883 at Desborough , he was 32 yrs of age. He married his wife Mary Lizzie Porter on 21st May 1908 at Swarby, Lincolnshire, they lived at 24 Hatten Gardens and later at 15 Stanley Street Newark. In the 1911 census John and his wife are living at South Collingham and are shown as John James 34 yrs a domestic butler, he is living with his wife Mary 34 yrs.
In the 1911 census he is shown as a domestic butler.
04 Nov 1918
263191 - CWGC Website
10th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Private John James Tailby attested on 8th December 1915 at Newark, he gave his age as 38 yrs and 327 days, his address was 24 Hatton Gardens, Newark, his next of kin was his wife Mary Lizzie of the same address. He gave his occupation as that of a driller and his religion as Church of England, the following day he was placed into the reserves. He was mobilised at Nottingham on 12th April 1918 and posted tot he Sherwood Foresters and reported at the depot at Derby on 15th April 1918. He embarked from Dover on 7th August 1918 landing in Calais, France the same day. On 14th September 1918 he was posted tot he 10th battalion Sherwood Foresters, on 4th November 1918 he was killed in action at Ghissignies and is buried at Ghissignies British Cemetery, Nord, France.
Article published in the Newark Herald published 4th January 1919 :- Son of J. Tailby. Husband of Mary Lizzie Tailby, 15 Stanley Street, Newark. A native of Doddington, near Bedford and for many years he occupied the position of butler to Mrs Browne of Collingham. After the outbreak of war he felt that he ought to do something of national importance, but owing to the death of the only child in 1915, he naturally wished to remain with his wife. Which led him to seek and obtain munitions work with Messrs. Ransome and Marles, when he went to reside in Stanley Street. However, at the beginning of April 1918 he joined the 4th Sherwood Foresters (later transferred to the 10th) and went into training at Sunderland. He went overseas on August 3rd and practically straight into action, remaining there continuously up to the time he was stricken down. While living in Newark he attended the parish church every Sunday.
Remembered on