[Skip to content]

Person Details
John Edward Tinkler was born in 1891 at Farndon and was the son of John William a labourer and Emma Tinkler née Dunn of 35 Sleaford Road, Newark. His father John William was born in 1867 at Colsterworth, Lincs and his mother Emma Dunn was born in 1867 in Long Eaton, they were married in 1889 at Newark and went on to have the following children, John Edward b1891, Ellen Elizabeth b1894, Florence May b1897, George b1900, William b1902 and Gerty b1905, all were born in Farndon. In the 1911 census the family are living at 6 Blytons Yard, Millgate, Newark and are shown as John William 44 yrs a labourer for the county council, he is living with his wife 44 yrs and their children Ellen 19 yrs a domestic servant, Florence May 15 yrs a domestic servant, George 12 yrs a scholar, William 9 yrs a scholar and Gerty 6 yrs. In the same 1911 census we find that John Edward Tinkler has moved out of the family home and is living in Claypole, near Newark, he is shown as being 20 yrs of age a farm servant he is living with Edward Smith 61 yrs a farmer and his wife Elizabeth Ann.
He was a farm labourer
29 Sep 1918
1749585 - CWGC Website
27 North Gate, Newark.
1/8th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Private John Edward Tinkler enlisted at Newark on 14th May 1915, he gave his age as 24 yrs and 331 days and his address as 27 North Gate, Newark, he stated that he was a farm hand and his next of kin was his father John William of the same address. Posted to the Sherwood Foresters Regiment he left from Southampton on 6th March 1916 to join the British Expeditionary Force. On 16th February 1917 he was admitted to the 3rd casualty clearing station with frost bite in his left foot. Transferred to the 14th general hospital on 18th February and returned to England via the Hospital Ship St David on 23rd February 1917 . In England he was admitted to the Toxteth Park, Military Hospital, Liverpool where he was treated until the 17th April 1917. He developed pleurisy and was transferred to the 21st V.A.D. hospital, Herrington Hall, Sunderland. Following treatment and rest he eventually returned to France on 6th June 1918 and on 29th September 1918 he was killed in action during the attack on the St Quentin Canal. He is buried at Vis-en-Artois Memorial, Pas de Calais, France
Remembered on