[Skip to content]

Person Details
Kelham Newark
Leslie Francis Twidale was born in 1899 at Kelham and was the youngest son of the late George a farmer and Emma Jane Twidale née Herrod of Home farm, Westhorpe , Southwell. His father George was born in 1848 at Ashby Grove, Lincolnshire, he died on 21st March 1907 at Southwell he was 59 yrs old and his mother Emma Jane Herrod was born in 1856 at Farndon, They were married on 22nd December 1874 at Thorpe, Southwell, they went on to have 17 children, sadly two died in infancy or early childhood, their children were, Margaret b1887 Farndon, George b1881 Thorpe Lodge, Lincs, Herbert b1880 Harmston, Henry b1883 Harmston, Matthew Harold b1886 Harmston, Sleightholme b1887 Harmston, Ethel Annie b1888 Harmston, Amelia Hannah b1889 Harmston, Kate Mabel B1891 Kelham, Annie Maria b1892 Kelham, Fanny Edith b1893 Kelham, Hannah Herrod b1895, David b1897 Kelham and Leslie Francis b1899 Kelham. In the 1911 census the family are living at Home Farm, Westhorpe Southwell and are shown as Emma Jane 54 yrs a widow and farmer she is living with her children, Margaret 34 yrs a dairy worker, George 30 yrs a farm labourer, Henry 28 yrs a farm labourer, Matthew Harold 25 yrs a farm labourer, Fanny Edith 18 yrs, David 14 yrs a scholar, and Leslie Francis 12 yrs a scholar.
was an apprentice to Mr Smith, chemist, Bridge Street, Newark
10 May 1918
330795 - CWGC Website
Resident of Westhorpe, Southwell.
2/5th Bn Lincolnshire Regiment
Private Leslie Francis Twidale enlisted at Newark whilst residing at Southwell he initially served with the West Yorkshire Regiment before transferring to the Lincolnshire Regiment. He was wounded and captured on 14th April 1918 at Bullecourt and whilst a prisoner of war he underwent an operation at Royal Fortrald Hospital, Cologne on 10th May 1918 to amputate his right leg but died from septic poisoning . He is buried at Cologne Southern Cemetery, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.
Article published 15th June 1918 in the Newark Herald :- Son of Mrs Twidale of Home Farm, Westhorpe, Southwell. Captured on 14th April at Bullecourt and died in a German hospital at 5.15 am on 10th May from septic poisoning, following amputation of right lower thigh. He died with religious assistance peacefully and in the presence of several comrades and the German hospital staff. An apprentice to Mr Smith, chemist, Bridge Street, Newark and joined up about twelve months ago.
Remembered on