[Skip to content]

Person Details
Albert Stevenson was born in 1879 at Newark and was the son of Richard a blacksmiths striker and Esther Ann Stevenson née Corby of 13 Lincoln Row, Slaughterhouse Lane, Newark. His father Richard was born in 1836 at Balderton and his mother Esther Ann Corby was born in 1849 at Newark, they were married on 25th January 1887 at Newark and went on to have 11 children, sadly three died in infancy or early childhood, their children were, Albert b1879, Harriett b1881, Walter b1883, Rose b1884, Emma b1885, Eliza b1886, and Edith b1892. In the 1911 census the family are living at 13/14 Lincoln Row, Newark and are shown as Richard 72 yrs a blacksmiths striker, he is living with his wife Esther Ann 32 yrs and their children, Albert 32 yrs a general labourer, Rose 27 yrs a housemaid, Emma 26 yrs no occupation listed, Eliza 25 yrs a sewing machinist and Edith 19 yrs no occupation listed.
He was a general labourer
17 Oct 1917
562768 - CWGC Website
2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Corporal Albert Stevenson enlisted at Newark on 2nd September 1914, he gave his age as 36 yrs and 33 days old, he was a labourer his next of kin was his father Richard of 13 Lincoln Row, Newark, he stated he had previous military service having served with the Grenadiers. He was posted to Sherwood Foresters Regiment. and landed in France on 10th November 1914. He was promoted to Lance Corporal on 4th June 1917. He was killed in action on 17th October 1917 and is buried in Loos British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. plot 20 row E grave 14
a.k.a. ""STEPHENSON"". Article published on 14th November 1917 in the Newark Advertiser :- Eldest son of Mr & Mrs R. Stevenson, 13 Lincoln Row, Northgate, Newark. A native of Newark and attended Lovers’ Lane Council School. Afterwards an errand boy with Mr John Pratt, fishmonger, Cartergate, then served ten years in the Granadier Guards. Before enlistment he worked at Messrs. Simpson and Co.’s, Lowfield Works. Joined the Sherwood Foresters soon after war broke out. The last time he was home was last Christmas, when he stated he had been out 31 months and never had a scratch or a day’s illness.
Remembered on