[Skip to content]



Person Details
Hucknall Torkard
He was the son of Arthur and Fanny Davis. Born Second Quarter 1897 On 1901 Census he is living with his parents and siblings – Harriett, Arthur, Wilfred and Edith - at 22, Bentinck Street, Hucknall. His father is listed as a coal miner hewer. On 1911 Census he is living with his parents and siblings –Wilfred, Edith and Harold - at 12 Woodhouse Road, Mansfield. His father is listed as a coal miner hewer and John is shown as a colliery labourer (above ground) By the time the War Graves Registers had been published John's parents were living at 19, Mansfield Road, Mansfield Woodhouse.
In 1911 he was working as a colliery labourer (above ground)
19 Jun 1916
19
624586 - CWGC Website
2807
In 1911 he lived at 12 Woodhouse Road, Mansfield
Private
Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers)
Enlisted July 1915 (2834 joined on 19th July 1915) Arrived in theatre with 1st / 1st Nottinghamshire Yeomanry post 1915 Regiment arrived in Salonika on 7th February 1916 on SS Winifredian Died of dysentery on board H.M.H.S Formosa 19th June 1916 Buried Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery Grave 160
Article published 13th July 1916 in the Hucknall Dispatch :- “FORMER HUCKNALLITES. “Many of our readers will remember Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Davis who lived for many years at Hucknall until their removal to Mansfield Woodhouse for Mr. Davis to take up his occupation at the Warsop Colliery. His two sons, Wilfred, aged 25, and [John] Ernest, aged 19, felt constrained to answer their country’s call, and now news has arrived that [John] Ernest, who is in the Royal Field Artillery, [sic – Sherwood Rangers] has died from dysentery whilst on his way to a hospital in England from Salonica. The deceased, who was 19 years of age, and received his training at Aldershot. Embarking from Southampton, he proceeded first to Egypt, and then to Salonica. “It may be mentioned that Wilfred Davis is still in good health and doing his bit in France. He is 25 years of age, and is in the Royal Field Artillery. Both the sons were born at Hucknall.” Above is courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918 The French liner Formosa was commissioned as a hospital ship on 23rd June 1915 with space for 417 patients. She served until 7th July 1919 at which point she was returned to her owners, Société Général de Transports Maritimes and resumed her commercial career. She had been built in 1906 by the London & Glasgow Eng. & Iron Shipbuilding Co
Remembered on

Photos

  • HM Hospital Ship Formosa -
  • Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery -