[Skip to content]

Person Details
Clerkenwell, London
John Lunn was born in 1880 at Clerkenwell. London and was the son of Joseph Lunn a bricklayer and Elizabeth Lunn née Exon of 1 Coopers Yard, Newark. His father Joseph was born in 1849 at Newark and his mother Elizabeth Exon was born in 1852 at Gonerby, Lincolnshire, they were married in 1872 at Peterborough and went on to have 11 children, sadly 6 died in infancy or early childhood, their surviving children were, John b1880, Joseph b1882 Newark, Walter b1887 Newark, Ernest b1889 Newark, and Bertha b1892 Newark. John married his wife Charlotte Buxton in in 1902 at Newark, they went on to have the following children, John Charles b1902, Kathleen Annie b1906 and Doris Irene b1912 all were born in Newark. In the 1911 census the family were living at 5 Taylor's Yard Mill Gate Newark and were shown as John 31 yrs a maltsters labourer, he is living with his wife Charlotte 35 yrs and their daughter Kathleen Annie 4 yrs. In the same 1911 census his parents and siblings are living at 1 Coopers Yard, Newark and are shown as Joseph Lunn 62 yrs a bricklayer, he is living with his wife Elizabeth 59 yrs and their children, Bertha 19 yrs a tailoress, Walter 24 yrs a blacksmiths engineer and Ernest 22 yrs a brewers labourer.
He was a malster.
24 Dec 1915
734531 - CWGC Website
23 Bilthance (?) Building Newark.
1st Bn Northamptonshire Regiment
Private John Lunn enlisted at Newark on 2nd November 1914 he initially served with service number 5180 in the 3rd Bn Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). He landed in France on 14th July 1915 and was killed in action on 24th December 1915 whist serving with the 1st battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.
Article published 12th January 1916 in the Newark Advertiser :- Resided with wife, Charlotte and four children, aged from 13 to two years, in Taylor’s Yard. A native of Newark and a barley carrier at Messrs. Branstons’ up to Nov. 2nd, 1914 when he joined the 3rd Sherwood Foresters going into training at Plymouth and for a few weeks at Sunderland. On leaving there, he was drafted to the 2nd Northants. With whom he went to France on July 14th, 1915. Corresponded regularly with his wife, his last letter stated that he was all right and expected going into the trenches on Christmas Eve.
Remembered on