[Skip to content]

Person Details
Old Radford Nottingham
He was born in 1885 (birth registered Jul/Aug/Sep) and was the son of James and Sarah Tee. In 1911 his parents had been married for 28 years and had had 10 children of whom only five were still alive at the time of the 1911 census. Six children were named on the census between 1891 and 1911; James Sidney, William E, Jane E, Amelia, George and Bernard S [Sylvanus]. Bernard was born in 1900 and was recorded on the 1901 census aged 6 months; he died the same year (death registered Oct/Nov/Dec). In 1891 James (28, b. Gloucestershire) and Sarah (28, b. Staffordshire), were living at 29 Miall Street, Nottingham, with their three children, James (5), William (3) and Jane (10 months). By 1901 they were living at 6 Cricketer's Cottages, Bright Street, Old Radford. Also living at home were James, William, Jane, Amelia (8), George (6) and Bernard (6 months). Living with the family was George Tee (28), James' brother. James Sidney joined the army in 1902 and at the time of the 1911 census was serving in India. The same year his parents and their son, George, were living at 56 Bramcote Street, Old Radford. James Sidney married Marion Stubbs (spinster) in Breasley parish church, Nottinghamshire, on 27 June 1914. Marion later remarried (Browne) and moved to 28 Stevenson Street, Wavertree, Liverpool.
In 1901 he was a labourer. He joined the Sherwood Foresters in 1902 having previously belonged to the Militia, and served in the Sherwood Foresters until his death in 1915.
09 Feb 1915
268507 - CWGC Website
1st Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
James was serving in the Militia (4th Bn Sherwood Foresters) when he enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters on 26 November 1902. Although he initially engaged for three years with the Colours and could have transferred to the Army Reserve on 25 November 1905, he was given permission to extend his Army service and on 8 December 1913 re-engaged for a 'further period as shall complete a total of 21 years with the Colours'. He thus served continuously with the Sherwood Foresters from 1902 until his death in 1915. He suffered a number of accidents while serving; being twice kicked by a horse and spending nearly two months in hospital while in India suffering from enteric fever (26 August-25 October 1907). He served at home until at least 8 December 1906 and then served in India with the 1st Battalion. He was promoted sergeant in March 1914. He served in France from 4 November 1914. He was wounded on 8 February 1915 and died of his injuries at No 25 Field Ambulance station the following day. He is buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery and Extension. He served a total of 12 years 76 days. He qualified for the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Nottingham Post notice (abridged), 1 March 1915: 'Tee. on February 9th, died of wounds, Sergeant JS Tee, 1st Sherwood Foresters, husband of Marion Tee.' He made a will in favour of his wife and his widow was his sole legatee. His widow was awarded a pension with effect from 23 August 1915. James' personal property comprising 3 letters, 4 post cards, photos and newspaper cuttings, rings, purse and a leather case were returned to his widow in July 1915. The circumstances of his death and that of Sgt. Walter Stedham who served in the same battalion, were described by Stedham's brother, Ernest, in a letter published in the Nottingham Evening Post dated 5th April 1915 :- “THE SPIN OF A COIN. “TOUCHING STORY OF SERGEANTS WHO TOSSED FOR LEAVE. “In a graphic letter from the front Driver Ernest Stedham, Army Service Corps, tells a pathetic story of how the spin of a coin decided a soldier’s fate. He writes to his Nottingham employers, Messrs. Dennett and Ingle, Station-street, mentioning his brother’s heroic death while attempting to save a comrade’s life at Neuve Chapelle. [Sergeant Walter Stedman] “There is a sad story attached to his four days’ leave, at the time when I saw you,” continues the driver. “It was related to me by one the sergeants of his regiment. My brother, and another sergeant — a Nottingham man named Sid Tees — tossed up to decide who should have the four days’ leave. My brother won, and on the last day of his leave Sid Tees got killed. He lost his life by a toss. May they both rest in peace.” The above letter is courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918 Note: 9586 Sergeant Walter Stedham 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters was killed in action 11 March 1915 just a month after Sergeant Tee's death. (See T2T ROH, Sneinton District Virtual Memorial)
Remembered on