[Skip to content]

Person Details
05 Sep 1891
Ernest was the son of George Robert Greenwood and Adah Greenwood (née Twells). Adah's name is also given as 'Ada' on some records. His father George Robert was the son of William Henry and Hannah Greenwood and born in Gainsborough (reg, 1860 J/F/M). Adah was the daughter of William and Charlotte Twells and born in Nottingham in 1862. They were married in Nottingham in 1880 and according to the 1911 Census when they had been married for 31 years they had had nine children of whom eight were still living. Eight children were named on the census between 1891 and 1911: Adah/Ada b. 1881, Lilian/Lily birth registered 1883 (J/F/M), William Arthur, known as Arthur birth registered 1884 (J/F/M), Gertrude b. 1886, George b. 1887, Ernest b. 1891, Leonard birth registered 1894 (J/F/M) and Harold birth registered 1896 (J/F/M). All the children were born in Nottingham. In 1881 George (21), a lace maker, and Adah (18) were living at 5 Factory Road, Lenton. Ten years later in 1891 they were living at 28 Harley Street, Lenton, with their five children; Adah (9), Lilian (8), William (7), Gertrude (4) and George (3). By 1901 the family had moved to 14 March Street, Nottingham. George was still working as a lace maker. He and Adah had seven children living at home: Lily, a lace jennier, Arthur (William Arthur), a pit lad - trucks, Gertrude, an errand girl, George, a pit lad - trucks, Ernest (10), Leonard (6) and Harold (5). Their eldest child, Adah, a lace dresser, was at 22 Hornbuckle Street, Radford, a boarder in the household of Isabella Freeman (24), who also worked as a lace dresser. Adah jnr. may have emigrated to America as there is a record of an Ada Greenwood applying for a US passport and also a death record (period 1908-1949) for an Adah Greenwood Holbery registered in the USA. However, by October 1904 George and Ada were estranged; he was living at 6 Hines Yard, Angel Row, Nottingham, and she at 13 Lotus Street, St Ann's. Both were found guilty that month of neglecting their three youngest sons and each sentenced to one month's imprisonment. (See 'Extra Information') George and Adah were clearly reconciled by 1911 as they were living at 10 Sun Hill, Sneinton, with their three youngest children; Ernest (19), a general labourer, Leonard (17), a printer, and Harold (15), an errand boy. At the time of Ernest's death in 1918 his parents were living at 101 Clarence Street, Carlton Road, Nottingham. An 'In Memoriam' notice published in a local paper in 1919 and probably placed by Ernest's mother, mentions 'his dear little son'. The only records in the time frame for a marriage or birth are: Marriage index: Ernest Greenwood to Annie E Bennett, 1913 (A/M/J Nottingham). Birth index: Harold Greenwood, 1914 (O/N/D Nottingham), mother’s maiden name Bennett. Death index: Harold Greenwood 1915 (J/A/S) age 0. Birth index: George E Greenwood, 1913 (J/A/S Nottingham), mother’s maiden name Bennett. Death index: George Ernest Greenwood, b. 15 August 1913 (d. 1982). Ernest's youngest brother, Harold, served in the 17th Bn Sherwood Foresters (27986 Private) and was killed on 3 September 1916 (Theipval Memorial). Their brother, Arthur (William Arthur) served and was taken prisoner in 1914 (POW camp, Hemeln) - he was probably Arthur William Greenwood, Silver Badge B196278, 102049 Private Sherwood Foresters. A fourth brother (not yet identified) also served. Their father died in 1918 aged 59 (buried 16 October 1918). His wife survived him.
In 1911 he was a general labourer.
25 Mar 1918
82903 - CWGC Website
Lance Sergeant
Royal Marine Light Infantry
1st RM Bn Royal Naval Division. Ernest served in the RMLI (Chatham Division) from 7 September 1914. He served in Gallipoli before transferring to France. In November 1916 while serving at Ancre he received a bayonet wound to his left hand and was treated by the 3rd (R.N.) Field Ambulance; he rejoined his battalion on 24 December 1916. He received a gunshot wound to his right knee on 26 October 1917 but was able to rejoin his battalion on 14 November 1917. On 24 March 1918 he was wounded by shellfire, suffering a compound fracture of the left tibia, and died of his wounds the following day at No. 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Doullens. He was buried in Doullens Communal Cemetery, France (grave ref. V B 69). Greenwood was one of 'Kitchener's Marines' who were transferred from the Sherwood Foresters to the RMLI. Des Turner notes '600 RMLI transfers came from 2 regiments - 200 from the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI) and 400 from the Sherwood Foresters. They were predominantly ex-miners and labourers, fit men wanted for their ability to dig trenches and tunnels. The 200 KOYLI recruits were transferred to Plymouth Division RMLI and were given service numbers PLY/1(S) to PLY200(S). This was also the case for the Sherwood Foresters 200 who were dispatched to Portsmouth where already 30 men were recruited and so they became PO/31(S) to PO/230(S). 200 remaining Foresters went to Chatham and were numbered CH/1 to CH/200(S).
Harold's brother, Arthur William, was taken prisoner and the following item in the local paper probably refers to Arthur. Nottingham Evening Post, Wednesday 20 December 1916: ‘A useful cheque from the recent jumble sale.’ The report describes a jumble sale held on behalf of Red Cross Clothing Department ‘and a certain percentage of the proceeds were set aside for our Cigarette Fund’. Parcels were going to be sent in the New Year to soldiers, sailors and prisoners of war. ‘Among acknowledgements from prisoners of war of parcels of cigarettes are the following … Private A Greenwood at Hemeln.’ Notice in local paper which mentions the number of sons serving: Nottingham Evening Post ‘In Memoriam’, 3 September 1917: ‘Greenwood. In loving memory of my dear son, Private H Greenwood, who was killed September 3rd 1916. Deeply mourned. From his sorrowing mother, father, and brothers (three of whom are serving with the colours).’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Nottingham Evening Post, 'Roll of Honour', 6 April 1918: 'GREENWOOD. died of wounds in hospital March 25th 1918, Sergeant E Greenwood RMLI, mother, father, sisters, brothers.' 'In Memoriam' notice published in the Nottingham Evening Post dated 24th March 1919: “GREENWOOD. – In loving memory of my dear son and our brother, Sergt. Ernest Greenwood, who died of wounds in France March 24th (sic), 1918. A loving son, a brother kind, sweetest of memories left behind. – From his sorrowing mother, brothers, sisters, and his dear little son.” Notice courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918. Nottingham Evening Post, Tuesday 25 October 1904: ‘Neglect of Children. Nottm. Parents sent to Gaol. Mr JW McCraith and Mr W Bridgett sitting at the Nottingham Summons Court this morning, had before them a case of child neglect. The defendants were George Greenwood twisthand of 6 Hine’s-yard, Angel-row, and Ada Greenwood, his wife, lately residing at 13, Lotus-street. They were both summoned for neglecting their three children, Ernest, aged 13, Leonard (10), and Harold (8), in such a manner as to cause them unnecessary suffering on the 15th inst. Sergeant Andrews stated that on the day named he visited defendant’s house in Hine’s-yard, and found that the three children were badly clothed, dirty, and very poorly nourished. The living-room downstairs contained two old broken chairs, two old couches, and a table. It was in a very filthy condition as was also the bedroom. On another occasion when witness visited the house, he found it in an equally bad state. The male defendant was continually drunk, and it was this reason which had led his wife to live away from him just lately. Evidence in support was given by Pc Mead, Dr Taylor, and two neighbours. For the defence other neighbours were called, one of whom said that since his wife had left him the male defendant had looked after his children as well as a man who was out all day at work could. The Chairman characterised the case as being a scandalous one. Both defendants were sent to prison for a month.’ (www. britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk)
Remembered on