[Skip to content]

Person Details
Radcliffe on Trent Nottinghamshire
He was the son of Fred and Clara Lees. He married his wife Nellie Thorpe at St Marks Church, Nottingham in 1901. They went on to have the following children; Doris b. 16th March 1906, Edna b. 17th July 1910, Hilda b. 29th April 1913, and Eveline Alma b1918. All were born in Nottingham. In the 1911 census he is living at 8 Ash Street, Peashill Road, Nottingham, he is shown as being 30 yrs a wood sawyer living with his wife Nellie 31 yrs and their children Doris 5 yrs and Edna 8 months. Their two younger daughters, Hilda and Eveline were born in 1913 and 1918 respectively. Following Frederick's death in 1920 his widow Nellie receives a pension of 26 shillings and 8 pence for herself and 23 shillings and 6 pence in respect of three children, to take effect from 12th July 1920. There is no evidence that any of their four daughters had died and it is likely that the eldest, Doris, who would have been fourteen years old (b. 16 March 1906) was in work and no longer dependent on her mother who was therefore not entitled to a payment for her.
He was a wood sawyer.
11 Jan 1920
2750495 - CWGC Website
Army Service Corps
Clearing Office He enlisted on 26th September 1914 having previously served with the 7th battalion Sherwood Foresters. He served with the Army Service Corps as a wheelwright. He embarked Southampton onboard SS Blackwell on 25th February 1915 and disembarked Le Harve on 28th February 1915. On 5th February 1916 he was discharged from the Territorial Forces under Paragraph 144 of the Territorial Forces Regulations and re-enlisted in the field on the same date and was posted to the Army Service Corps No 8 Motor Ambulance Convoy. His army service record gives details of his gradual decline in health culminating in a medical board held at No 8 Stationary Hospital in Boulogne on 8th January 1919 after which he was transferred to England on 15th January 1919 as an insane soldier. He was admitted to Netley Military Hospital on 10th February 1919 for observations and treatment and on 27th August 1919 was transferred to The Lord Derby War Hospital at Warrington . On 11th January 1920 he died at the hospital. The cause of his death was given as general paralysis of the insane. His body was returned to his family and he was buried in the Nottingham General Cemetery.
Remembered on