[Skip to content]

  • Carl Jocelyn Bamkin on the left of the photograph.  Courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918
Person Details
21 Aug 1897
Hucknall Torkard Nottinghamshire
Carl Jocelyn Bamkin was the second son of Harry Hibbert and Edith Bamkin (née Laycock). His father Harry Hibbert was born in 1866 at Whitwick, Leicestershire, the son of Francis and Sarah Bamkin. The family was living in Hucknall by 1891. His mother Edith Laycock was born in 1873 at Eastbourne. They were married in 1895 (J/A/S Basford) at the church of the Holy Cross, Hucknall, and had five children who were all born in Hucknall Torkard: Rudolph John b. 25 June 1896 bap. Holy Cross 16 August 1896, Carl Jocelyn b, 21 August 1897 bap. Holy Cross 31 October 1897; Harry Lawrence b. 19 September 1902, Margaret Mary Grace b. 4 September 1904 and Neville b. 6 November 1906. In the 1911 census the family was living at 14 Portland Road, Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, and shown as Harry Hibbert 45 yrs, an estate agent (own account), his wife Edith 38 yrs and their children, Rudolph John 14 yrs, Carl Jocelyn 13 yrs and Harry Lawrence 8 yrs who were all scholars and Margaret Mary Grace 6 yrs and Neville 4 years old. Also in the household was Maud Dobbs 15 yrs of age, a domestic servant. Harry and Edith had moved to 'Oakfield House', 100 Beardall Street, Hucknall, by the time of Carl's death in 1918. Carl's father Harry Hibbert died on 9 November 1932. The probate record named three executors including his sons Rudolph, a hosiery manufacturer, and Harry, a bank clerk. Harry's widow, Edith, was still living at 100 Beardall Street in 1939 when the England & Wales Register was compiled. Also in the home was her son Neville, an estate agent (own account). Neville was married but probably separated from his wife. Edith died in 1946. Of Carl's four siblings: Rudolph John married Elizabeth Ann Hallam (b. 12 January 1898 d. 8 November 1983) in 1933 and in 1939 were living in Hucknall; Rudolph was a director, hosiery manufacturer. He and Elizabeth later lived in the family home at 100 Beardall Street. Rudolph died on 25 November 1962; his widow and brother-in-law, Samuel Gray, were his executors. Harry Lawrence married Ivy Burton (b. 17 April 1903) in 1927 and they had one son, Carl Richard (b. 14 February 1930 d. 2001). In 1939 they were living in Hucknall; Harry was a bank cashier. They later lived in Sherwood. Harry died on 24 September 1995. Margaret Mary Grace married Samuel Austin Gray (b. 22 September 1910) in 1938 and they had a daughter, Angela (b. 1947). In 1939 they were living in, Derby; Samuel was a bank cashier. Samuel died on 2 January 1979; they were then living in Mapperley Park, Nottingham. Margaret died on 3 November 2000 (registered Chesterfield). Neville married Grace Harris (b. 3 January 1912) in 1933 and they had a daughter Patricia (b. 28 July 1935). In 1939 Neville, an estate agent (own account), was living with his mother in Hucknall while his wife and daughter were with her family in Papplewick, Nottinghamshire. Neville married secondly Freda Aindow (b. 31 January 1915 d. 2002) in 1943 and Grace remarried in 1944 (Munro). Neville died in 2003 (registered Stroud, Gloucestershire).
Attended Brunts School.
19 Aug 1918
68514 - CWGC Website
'Oakfield', 100 Beardall Street, Hucknall.
Second Lieutenant
12 Bn Norfolk Regiment
Second Lieutenant Carl Jocelyn Bamkin served initially in the Munster Fusiliers (Private). He was promoted second lieutenant on 16 March 1918 and joined the Dorset Regiment attached 12th Bn Norfolk Regiment. He was killed in action on 19th August 1918 and is buried in Le Grand Hasard Military Cemetery, Morbecque, France (grave ref. Plot 1. Row F. Grave 3). An article published in the Hucknall Dispatch on 29 August 1918 gave a detailed account of Carl's military career (see 'Extra Information'). CWGC - Le Grand Hasard Military Cemetery (extract): 'The cemetery begun by the 31st Division at the end of June 1918, was also used by the 40th Division. On its closure at the end of August the cemetery comprised Plots I and II, but after the Armistice Plots III and IV were added when scattered graves were brought into the cemetery from a wide area around Hazebrouck. The earliest of these graves dates from May 1915, but the majority were from the fighting of April 1918.'
CWGC headstone personal inscription: 'He died that we might live' Probate: Bamkin Carl Jocelyn of Oakfield Beardall-street Hucknall Nottinghamshire second-lieutenant in HM Army died 19 August 1918 in France Administration Nottingham 7 March to Harry Hibbert Bamkin estate agent. Effects £180 3s. 4d. Article published in the Hucknall Dispatch on 29th August 1918 :- “AS BRAVE AS A LION.” “Glowing Tributes to a Fallen Hucknall Officer. “Another Hucknall young man to sacrifice his life on the altar of duty is Sec.-Lieut. Carl Jocelyn Bamkin, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Bamkin, of Beardall street, Hucknall. Ample evidence is forthcoming to show that the phrase, “the altar of duty,” is no common-place expression in this instance, for he was one of those who felt he must be in the forefront, and had often ventured into dangerous quarters. On the occasion when he met his death he was seen performing some valiant deeds – even catching the German bombs like a cricketer and immediately hurling them back to the enemy for them to have the “benefit” of the explosions. He should have been 21 years of age this week. “The fallen Lieutenant attended Brunts' School at Mansfild, and was afterwards articled to a firm of auctioneers and valuers in Nottingham. When war was declared and the clarion call or volunteers went forth Carl responded to the voice of duty in less than a month. He was first found a place in the 11th Hussars, and was afterwards transferred to the 4th Irish Dragoon Guards, then to the Royal Munster Fusiliers, and went to Salonica. He was in the fighting on the Serbian frontier, and after doing a noble share of duty was struck down with dysentery, and for four months was in hospital at Alexandria. On recovery, Carl was again sent to face the feverish climate round Salonica, and after taking part in the attacks the brave youth – he was only 17 when he joined up – was laid on his back once more, septic poisoning this time being the trouble. This developed into malaria, so his next trip was on the Braemar Castle bound for Malta. As though he had not had enough, the Germans, as all the world knows, torpedoed the hospital ship, notwithstanding that it was painted white and had huge red crosses painted upon it. Carl was one of the lucky ones to survive this infamous act, and after some terrible experiences in the water he was picked up. Again he recovered, and was attached to the Dorsets. “After his Salonica experiences, he was transferred to Palestine and Egypt, being then recommended for a commission. While in Palestine his papers came for him to proceed to Cairo for further training and equipment, after which he rejoined his regiment – the Dorsets – in Palestine. In due course the whole Battalion was transferred to France, and this gave Carl an opportunity of getting home, which he reached unexpectedly after nearly three years' absece [sic] in the farthest scenes in the world's war. He again returned to France, and was expecting a further leave, as he had applied for transference to the Royal Air Force. However, that was not to be, and in the evening of August 19 his young life's blood was shed in the cause of freedom. “Tributes to His Valour. “Mr. and Mrs. Bamkin have received three letters concerning their fallen son. “The major writes from France conveying the very deepest sympathy of both himself and the whole battalion in the death of their gallant son. He was a gentleman, and died gallantly leading his company to the attack. His keenness, energy, and cheerfulness were splendid. “The captain forwards a letter stating that Lieut. Bamkin was a splendid fellow and as brave as a lion. It was a victorious battle, and all their objectives were gained, capturing many prisoners. “The servant to Lieut. Bamkin has sent a long letter to his parents, in which he relates to a number of incidents prior to and at the battle. He states that he was a very keen officer, yet so kind that he (the servant) would have risked his life for him. They went into action at 5 o'clock in the evening, and the battle continued until 8 o'clock. He noticed Lieut. Bamkin go forward when he saw the men needed a leader, but did not see him fall. However, one of the men near by states that he was killed by rifle or machine gun fire, but it was not until he had rendered good service and leadership to his men. He was seen to frequently catch the canister bombs which the Germans hurled forward, and threw them back at the enemy before the explosion. The servant further relates that he had previously done some valuable work in No Man's Land, whereby they learned some useful information concerning the movements of the Germans. The servant paid glowing tributes to the heroism of the Hucknall officer, whose loss is deplored by the entire company.” Above article is courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-198
Remembered on


  • Carl Jocelyn Bamkin on the left of the photograph.  Courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918
    Carl Jocelyn Bamkin - Carl Jocelyn Bamkin on the left of the photograph. Courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918
  • Le Grand Hasard Military Cemetery, France (www.cwgc.org)
    Carl Jocelyn Bamkin - Le Grand Hasard Military Cemetery, France (www.cwgc.org)