[Skip to content]

  • Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial Louverval (www.cwgc.org)
Person Details
Harold was born in 1896 in Nottingham and was the son of Edward and his first wife, Emma (née Wells) of 7 Moss Terrace, Rupert Street, Meadows, Nottingham His father Edward was born in 1864 in Nottingham and his mother Emma Wells was born in 1861 in Nottingham. They were married in 1882 in Nottingham and went on to have the following children who were born in Nottingham: Albert Edward b1883, Leonard b1888 Nottm and Harold b1896. His mother Emma died in 1905 in Nottingham; she was 43 yrs of age His father married secondly Edith Annie Mitchell (b1875 Timberland Dales, Lincolnshire in 1905 in Nottingham. In the 1911 census the family was living at 7 Moss Terrace, Rupert Street Meadows Nottingham, and shown as Edward 47 yrs a locomotive engine driver, his wife Edith Annie 36 yrs and his children Leonard 23 yrs a book binder and Harold 15 yrs a grocery shop assistant. Also living with them was Edward's sister-in-law, Florence Mitchell 40 yrs, a lace mender. Edward and Annie later moved to 51 Rupert Street, Meadows, and were living at this address when Harold was killed in 1916.
In 1911 he was a shop assistant.
06 Dec 1917
1751013 - CWGC Website
51 Rupert Street, Nottingham.
2/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
He was cconscripted and posted to 2/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters. Harold was reported missing on 6 December 1917 during the Battle of Cambrai and his death on that date was not confirmed until September the following year. He has no known grave and his name is commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval. CWGC - Cambrai Memorial (extract): The memorial 'commemorates more than 7,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South Africa who died in the Battle of Cambrai in November and December 1917 and whose graves are not known. Sir Douglas Haig described the object of the Cambrai operations as the gaining of a 'local success by a sudden attack at a point where the enemy did not expect it' and to some extent they succeeded. The proposed method of assault was new, with no preliminary artillery bombardment. Instead, tanks would be used to break through the German wire, with the infantry following under the cover of smoke barrages. The attack began early in the morning of 20 November 1917 and initial advances were remarkable. However, by 22 November, a halt was called for rest and reorganisation, allowing the Germans to reinforce. From 23 to 28 November, the fighting was concentrated almost entirely around Bourlon Wood and by 29 November, it was clear that the Germans were ready for a major counter attack. During the fierce fighting of the next five days, much of the ground gained in the initial days of the attack was lost. For the Allies, the results of the battle were ultimately disappointing but valuable lessons were learnt about new strategies and tactical approaches to fighting. The Germans had also discovered that their fixed lines of defence, no matter how well prepared, were vulnerable.'
Nottingham Evening Post, ‘Roll of Honour’, 28 September 1918: ‘Barker. In loving memory of Pte H Barker of 51 Rupert-street, missing December 6th, 1917, Sherwood Forester, now reported killed, aged 31 years. They miss him most who loved him best. From his sorrowing parents, brothers, and Flo.’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Nottingham Evening Post, ‘In Memoriam’, 6 December 1919: ‘Barker. Killed in action December 6th, 1917, Harold Barker. Fondly remembered. Fiancée Elsie.’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk)
Remembered on


  • Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial Louverval (www.cwgc.org)
    Harold Barker - Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial Louverval (www.cwgc.org)