[Skip to content]

Person Details
30 May 1896
Hyson Green
Frank was born 30th May 1896 in Hyson Green he was the son of William a glass cutter and Fanny Elizabeth (née Pykett) Walters. His father William was born 1st December 1859 in Codnor, his mother was born in 1862 in Gunthorpe , they were married on 25th September 1880 in the Basford Registry Ofiice, they went on to have 6 children all born in Radford Nottingham, Walter b1881, Ernest b1887, Frank b1896, Jane Elizabeth b1898 and Ethel Pykett b1901. In 1891 the family lived at 18 Meredith Street St Ann’s and in 1901 and 1911 at 11 Gadd Street Radford (both Nottingham).
For many years connected with All Saints Church
27 May 1918
1439198 - CWGC Website
17 Thurman Street,Nottingham
South Nottinghamshire Hussars
Joined at the beginning of the war and saw service in Gallipoli, Salonkia and the Holy Land (ASCN, May 1919). Died when the troopship Leasowe Castle was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean. Commemorated on the Chatby Memorial, Alexandria. This account is from a local resident posted on the Woodborough village website: 'The Hussars had been fighting in the Middle East and they were returning to France where they were to be re-formed as a machine gun company. Their new title was to be the South Notts Machine Gun Battalion. They were sent to Alexandria, Egypt and had received orders to embark on a transporter ship called the "Leasowe Castle" on 23th May 1918 ¹. On 27th May, the ship was struck by a torpedo with devastating results. A very detailed account of the fateful journey may be read in the historical records of the South Notts Hussars Yeomanry by G. Fellows. The "Leasowe Castle" was one of a convoy of six transporters and they were accompanied by a number of destroyers. The weather was good, the sea was calm and a brilliant moon shone in the night sky. At 1.30 am on May 27th 1918 when the ship was about 104 miles from Alexandria, the "Leasowe Castle" was struck by a torpedo on the starboard side. The engines were immediately stopped. The troops mustered to their stations, rolls were called, boats lowered and rafts flung overboard. The Japanese destroyer "R" stood by, while the remainder of the convoy continued on their journey at full speed. We are informed that perfect order was maintained on board, the men standing quietly at their stations as if on parade, while those detailed for the work assisted in lowering the boats. Lifeboats were launched in the course of forty five minutes and the rescue attempt continued smoothly. The "Leasowe Castle" remained fairly steady, though sinking a little at the stern, with a slight list to port. All of 'B' (Warwickshire Yeomanry) Company of the Battalion went over the port side and were picked up in the water. About 1.45am. HM sloop "Lily" appeared having turned back from the convoy to assist in the work of rescue. She ran her bows up to the starboard side of the "Leasowe Castle" and made fast, so that troops were able to pass quickly on board. Meanwhile the Japanese destroyer put up a smoke screen for protection. Suddenly about 3.00am a bulkhead in the aft part of the ship gave way, and with a loud noise the "Leasowe Castle" sank rapidly. The "Lily" had a narrow escape, as the hawsers connecting her with the sinking ship were cut with an axe just in time.'
All Saints Church News May 1919: 'Frank Walters, 17 Thurman Street, Trooper South Notts Hussars, went at beginning of the war, saw service in the Gallipoli Peninsular, Salonika and the Holy Land. Drowned in the Mediterranean May 27th 1918, age 21. Was connected for many years with All Saints. The second in his family to fall in the Great War.' His brother, Gunner William Walters, 126th Bde Ammunition Col RFA, was also killed (207/7/1917)
Remembered on