[Skip to content]

Person Details
Sibthorpe, Nottinghamshire
Son of John Frederick and Mary Snow. Born at Nottingham (CWGC). However, the census gives his place of birth as Sibthorpe; his army service record gives his place of birth as Salford, but this was where his older brother, William, was born. In the 1901 and 1911 census John Frederick (born Aslockton) and Mary (born Sibthorpe) were living at 26 Chesterfield Street, Nottingham. They had five children, four of whom were living with them at the time of the 1911 census: William Ruben (29, school teacher, born Salford, Lancs), Ernest Frederick (27, born Sibthorpe), Ethel May (21, machinist, born Nottingham) and Sarah Elizabeth (17, machinist, born Nottingham). A third son, John (23) was not in the household at the time of the census.
He was a greengrocer's assistant at the time of the 1911 census but his occupation when he attested in 1916 was given as 'hawker'.
18 Feb 1918
2750590 - CWGC Website
22 Red Lion Street, Nottingham
4th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
He attested Nottingham on 1st March 1916 at the age of 33 years and 106 days,(b. abt 1883) his address was 22 Red Lion Street, Nottingham and he was a hawker. He was mobilised on 13 April 1916 being posted on 18 April 1916 to 19th Sherwood Foresters (42713). He was found drowned in the Nottingham Canal while on home leave and was buried in Nottingham General Cemetery on 23 February.
Army service record; Letter from the Chief Constable Nottingham City Police to the Officer Commanding Sherwood Foresters, Boldon (letter received 28 February 1918): re 42713 Pte EF Snow deceased. I have to acknowledge receipt of your telegram of the 21st instant, and to inform you an inquest was held on the body of the above soldier on the 20th instant and a verdict of ‘Found drowned’ was returned. The funeral is fixed for 12 noon, Saturday, the 23rd instant, at the General Cemetery, Waverley Street entrance, Nottingham. I herewith enclose newspaper cutting giving a report of the inquest. Press cutting with ASR: ‘Monstrously wicked thing: Nottingham City Coroner Indignant. Inquest on soldier.' “I think it a monstrously wicked thing that this man, in his condition, should be sent out for the third time when there are thousands of men about our coasts who have never had a turn at all.” remarked the City Coroner (Mr CL Rothera) at an inquiry held at Leenside yesterday in relation to the death of Ernest Frederick Snow (34) a Sherwood Foresters whose body was recovered on Monday from the canal on Wilford Road. The father, John Frederick Snow, of 26 Chesterfield Street told the coroner that the deceased had been (-) in France. He had fought on the Somme and had been twice invalided home with nephritis [inflammation of a kidney]. (-) night ago the deceased was home on leave. Witness saw him on February 3rd and was aware that he should have returned to his regiment on the previous Friday “He dreaded being sent out to France again” said his father, “on account of his ailment. The doctor told him it would kill him to be sent out there again.” “And they were going to send him for the third time?” asked the City Coroner, and the witness replied in the affirmative. “Absolutely wicked.” commented the Coroner. Mary Elizabeth Myers, of 23, Walnut Tree Lane who said she had known the deceased for eighteen years, told the coroner that he practically lived at her house when home on leave. He left her to go home for the purpose of packing his kit, but did not return. Another soldier, Pte James Kayes, of the South Lancs Regiment, spoke of finding the deceased’s body in the canal near the Trent Navigation Company’s wharf, Wilford Road, on Monday. The jury returned a verdict of ‘Found drowned’ and then the coroner expressed his opinion on the deceased being again sent out to France.' His medical record shows that he was treated in hospital for nephritis in December 1916 and again in September 1917 when he was transferred to England on 3 October 1917. His brother Private John Edwin Snow enlisted at Nottingham and served with the 1st battalion Northumberland Fusiliers he was killed in action on 21st March 1917 he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.
Remembered on