[Skip to content]

Person Details
Sneinton Nottingham
He was the son of William Henry and Sarah Brownson nee Rose His father William Henry was born in Leicester in 1847 (J/A/S Leicester), the son of John Brownlow and his wife Ann nee Jennaway. By 1851 the family was living on Hermit Street, Sneinton. His mother Sarah was born in Sileby, Leicestershire, in 1848 (O/N/D Barrow-on-Soar, Leics), the daughter of John and Martha Rose. William and Sarah were married in 1867 (J/A/S Nottingham) and according to the 1911 Census, completed by Sarah as head of household, they had had 14 children of whom 13 were still living. Fourteen children have been identified, all of whom were born in Sneinton: John William Newsam b. 1867 (O/N/D Radford) bap. 20 February 1883 Sneinton St Stephen (address: Hermit Street), Louise (also Louisa) b. abt. 1869 bap. 13 July 1887 died 1887 (J/A/S Nottingham), Mabel b. 1870 (O/N/D Radford), Arthur James b. 1872 (O/N/D Radford), Alonzo b. 29 September 1874 (O/N/D Radford), Ernest birth registered 1877 (J/F/M Radford), Harold birth registered 1879 (J/F/M Radford), Nellie birth registered 1881 (J/F/M Nottingham), Vernon Alwin birth registered 1883 (J/F/M Nottingham), Clarence birth registered 1885 (J/F/M Nottingham), Ivy birth registered 1887 (J/F/M Nottingham), Claude Henry b. 1888 (O/N/D Nottingham), Ina Rose b. 1890 (A/M/J Nottingham) and Clive Jennaway b. 1893 (J/A/S Nottingham). John and Louisa were baptised at Sneinton St Stephen in 1883 and July 1887 respectively, but nine of the children - Mabel, Arthur, Alonzo, Ernest, Harold, Nellie, Vernon, Clarence and Ivy - were baptised on 18 August 1887 at Sneinton St Stephen; the family was then living on Thoresby Street, Sneinton. However, no record has been found of the three youngest children, Claude, Ina and Clive, being baptised. In 1871 William and Sarah with their three children John William (3), Louisa (2) and Mabel (u/1yr) were living on Hermit Street, Sneinton. They were still living at 10 Hermit Street in 1881. William (33) was working as a wood turner. He and Sarah (32) now had eight children: John (13), Louisa (12), Mabel (10), Arthur (8), Alonzo (6), Ernest (4), Harold (2) and Nellie (u/1yr). Louisa, their second child, died in 1887 (J/A/S Nottingham). See 'Extra information'. The family home was then at Brunswick Mills, Sneinton. By 1891 William (43) and Sarah (42) had moved to Kingston Street, Sneinton; only one of their 12 surviving children, John William, was not in the home on the night of the census. Clive, their fourteenth child, was born two years later in 1893. The family was living at 76 Sneinton Boulevard, Sneinton, by 1901. Sarah (52), still listed as married, was head of household. Ten of her 13 surviving children were in the home on the night of the census: Mabel (30) lady (bath) attendant (Nottingham Corporation), Arthur (28) carter, Ernest (24) rallway attendant, Nellie (20) no occupation listed, Vernon (18) joiner, Clarence (16) sadler, Ivy (14) stationery assistant, and Claude (12) Ina (10) and Clive (7) who were of school age. Clive's brother Harold had married Daisy Priest in 1900 (J/F/M Nottingham) and in 1901 they were living at 71 Clarence Street, Nottingham, with their daughter, Winifred (u/1yr). Five of Clive's siblings married after 1901: Ivy in 1903 (Frank Gunthorpe), Arthur in 1904 (Elizabeth Ann Mosley, sep. October 1904 - Nottingham Evening Post, 28 November 1904), Alonzo in 1906 (Lilian Hutchinson), Vernon in 1910 (Florence Cheetham) and Nellie also in 1910. Vernon and Florence's only child, John (Jack) Vernon Cheetham (b. 1910), drowned on 22 February 1919. See 'Extra information.' On 6 February 1908 Clarence attested in the Hussars on a short service engagement. He joined the regiment at Shorncliffe on 8 February but paid £10 to be released from his engagement and was discharged on 29 February the same year. He had named his parents William and Sarah of 119 Colwick Road, Sneinton, as his next of kin along with his brother Vernon of the same address. Sarah was still living at 119 Colwick Road in 1911 and listed as married but head of household; she was now a lace worker. Of her 13 children only Mabel (40) bath attendant, Ernest (34) 'head boot', Clarence (26) a traveller, Claude (22) carriage hand, Ina Rose (21) house assistant and Clive (17), a tailor's porter, were in the home on the night of the census. Clive's mother Sarah died on 19 November 1914. Clarence married Mabel G Asher in 1911 (J/A/S Bingham) and Claude married Milicent Jacques in 1915 (A/M/J Nottingham). Mabel married Ellsworth Rude in New York on 28 April 1915 (see 'Extra information'). According to a notice in the paper in 1917 in memory of Sarah and Clive, his brother Claude was also serving. Claude served in the Rifle Brigade (S/3008 Private) and was in France from 30 July 1915; he qualified for the 1915 Star, BWM, VM. Clarence enlisted on 7 September 1914 and served in France from 28 February 1915 with the 1st North Midland Division Cyclist Company (2385 Private). He was discharged (sickness) on 1 September 1916, Silver Badge No. 83685; he qualified for the 1915 Star BWM VM. Vernon Alwin served with the Somerset Light Infantry (38448) and qualified for the BWM VM. Harold enlisted on 5 September 1914 and served in France from 28 February 1915 with the 7th Bn Sherwood Foresters (2312 Private). He was discharged (sickness) on 17 August 1916, Silver Badge 72366; he qualfiied for the 1915 Star BWM VM.
Clive was a tailor's porter in 1911.
12 Jun 1916
569898 - CWGC Website
Enlisted Nottingham
15th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Clive Jennaway Brownson enlisted at Nottingham. He was killed in action on 12 June 1916 and is buried in St Vaast Post, Military Cemetery, Richebourge L’Avoue, France (grave ref. III.L.7) He qualified for the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Nottingham Evening Post, ‘In Memoriam’, 19 November 1917: ‘Brownson. In loving memory of our dear mother, Sarah Brownson, who died November 19th, 1914; also our dear brother Clive, who was killed in France, June 12th, 1916. Our lips need not speak when our hearts mourn sincerely, for grief often dwells where it seldom is seen. Harold, Daisy [Harold's wife], Clarence, Mabel, Ina, and Claude (in France).’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Nottingham Evening Post, ‘In Memoriam’, 19 November 1919: ‘Brownson. In ever-loving memory of our dear mother, who passed away November 19th, 1914. Claude, Frank [Ivy's husband], and Ivy.’ (www.britishnewspaperarcive.co.uk) Registers of Soldiers' Effects: Clive's sister-in-law, Daisy Brownlow (Harold's wife) was his sole legatee. Nottingham Evening Post, ‘Deaths’, 8 and 10 August 1887: ‘On the 7th inst., after a long and painful illness, Louisa, the beloved daughter of William Henry and Sarah Brownson, Brunswick Mills, Sneinton, aged 18 years.’ (britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Nottingham Evening Post, ‘Marriages’, 29, 30 April, 1 May 1915: Rude-Brownson. On April 28th at Fulton New York. Ellsworth Rude to Mabel Brownson formerly of Sneinton.’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Nottingham Evening Post, 29 March 1919: ‘Brownson. Accidentally drowned, February 22nd, Jack, dearly-beloved and only child of Vernon and Florence Brownson, 8 Whittier-road, Sneinton, Nottingham aged 8 years. The fairest of flowers are gathered first. From his sorrowing mam and dad.’ (britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk). The family was living at 16 Whittier Road in 1911. Arthur James died in 1926 (J/F/M Nottingham) aged 53. Nottingham Evening Post, 18 February 1926: ‘Gone to Rest. Nottingham Cancer Suicide’s Pathetic Farewell. Having been discharged from hospital with an incurable cancer, Arthur James Brownson, 53, a Nottingham Corporation carter, ended his sufferings by jumping in to the Trent. At the inquest to-day it was stated that Brownson, who was known to his mates as ‘Jasper’ left his cap and coat on the river bank, along with the following briefly pathetic note: ‘Poor old Jasper! Gone to rest.’ His widow Elizabeth Brownson, who lives at 6, Duke of Wellington Yard, Duke-street, said the deceased had been afflicted by cancer for some time, and had suffered very much,. On the 16th inst. He went out about 7 o’clock in the evening saying he was going for a walk, but he did not return. He had never threatened to take his life …The Deputy Coroner (Mr WS Rothera) returned a verdict that ‘Brownson committed suicide by drowning whilst temporarily insane.’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk)
Remembered on