[Skip to content]

Person Details
North Muskham Newark
John Arthur Guy was born in 1894 at North Muskham and was the son of Henry a shunter with Great Northern Railway and Sarah Jane Guy née Greensmith of Crab Lane, North Muskham. His father Henry was born in 1867 at North Muskham and his mother Sarah Jane Greensmith was born in 1867 at Brant Broughton, Lincolnshire, they were married in 1890 their marriage was recorded in the Southwell registration district, they went on to have the following children, John Arthur b1894, Thomas b1898, Mary Priestly b1899, Edward b1902 and James Guy b1904, all were born at North Muskham. In the 1911 census the family were living at North Muskham village and were shown as Henry 44 yrs a shunter on the Great Northern Railway he is living with his wife Sarah Jane 44 yrs and their children, John Arthur 17 yrs a farm worker, Thomas 13 yrs a scholar, Mary Priestly 11 yrs a scholar, Edward 9 yrs a scholar and James 7 yrs a scholar.
He was a farm worker in 1911.
08 Nov 1918
501692 - CWGC Website
Trooper John Arthur Guy enlisted on 6th October 1914 at East Retford and served with the Sherwood Rangers. He landed in Egypt on 10th August 1915 and served during the Gallipoli campaign, where he developed dysentery and was invalided to Cairo. Following his recovery he went to Salonika and then developed malaria and was invalided to Malta and was eventually returned to England. He was transferred to 'D' Sqdn Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars and died on 8th November 1918 of pneumonia and influenza at 20th general hospital Camiers and is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France grave reference L.A.4
Article published 27th November 1918 in the Newark Advertiser :- Eldest son of Henry & Sarah Jane Guy, Crab Lane, North Muskham. Was in farm service before joining-up with the Sherwood Rangers on Oct. 6th, 1914. After a period in training in England, he proceeded to the Dardanelles and served through part of the campaign. He contracted dysentery and was invalided to Cairo. On his recovery he was sent to Salonika and after several months was invalided to Malta with malaria. Later he came back to England and was transferred to the Oxfordshire Hussars. Died at Camiers of pneumonia & influenza.
Remembered on