[Skip to content]

Person Details
Sneinton, Nottingham
Thomas Pidcock married Annie Millicent Eayres on 18th April 1894 at the Nottingham Registry office and they had a son, Tom Francis, born 17th November 1906 at Nottingham. Thomas Piddcock's effects of £80 were left to his widow Ann Maria (Probate Nottingham 30/12/1919).
He was a fish monger in 1911 and a town carter upon enlistment.
10 Jul 1915
2750540 - CWGC Website
3rd Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Thomas Pidcock enlisted on 5th November 1914 at Nottingham aged 42. He had previously served with the Leicestershire Regiment and had purchased his discharge. (1891 Census shows him as an 18 year old soldier in barracks at Leicester) . He was posted to the 3rd Battalion Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment, He took his own life on 7th July 1915 at Sunderland and he is buried in Nottingham General Cemetery.
His army service record survives and contains his death certificate which states he died on 7th July 1915 in a plantation near West Hall, South Shields. His death was due to strangulation whilst he was temporarily insane. This was certified by the Deputy Coroner Reginald Shepherd dated 10th July 1915. The record also contains statements made by various witness at the inquest including from a friend who found him in the woods with a cord tied around his neck several times. It was stated that he had been rejected for service abroad and that two weeks prior his mother had died. The conclusion of the inquest was that he had taken his own life by strangulation whilst temporarily insane. Nottingham Daily Express 113/7/1915: “WITH MILITARY HONOURS. “Funeral of Sherwood Forester in Nottingham. “The remains of Private Tom Pidcock, of the 3rd Battalion Sherwood Foresters were laid to rest in the Nottingham General Cemetery yesterday [12th July 1915] with full military honours. The deceased soldier, whose home was at 353, St. Ann's Well-road, formerly served in the 17th Leicestershire Regiment, and at the outbreak of war re-enlisted, choosing the 3rd Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was sent to Sunderland, where he died in hospital on Wednesday. [7th July 1915] His body was brought to Nottingham on Saturday. [10th July 1915] “A platoon of the Bantam Battalion, accompanied by a firing party of the Robin Hoods depot unit, assembled at the deceased's home and followed the cortege to the cemetery, where they were joined by the Robin Hoods' drum and fife band and bugle party. After the interment the usual three volleys were fired over the grave and the “Last Post” was sounded. Amongst the officers at the graveside was Captain McGuire, chief of the Nottingham Recruiting Staff, through whom the dead soldier was enlisted. Several beautiful floral tributes were sent by various military units, including one from “Old Comrades.” Report courtesy of Jim Grundy and his facebook pages Small Town Great War Hucknall 1914-1918. BMD incorrectly cites 45 as his age at death (birth registered O/N/D1872). Research by Peter Gillings
Remembered on