[Skip to content]

Person Details
Frederick Whitwirth was born in 1885 at Nottingham and was the son of Arthur a tailor and Eliza Whitworth née Stone of Nottingham. His father Arthur was born in 1849 in Nottingham, his mother Eliza Stone was also born in 1849 in Nottingham, she died in 1905 aged 56 yrs, they were married in 1875 their marriage was recorded in the Basford registration district, they had a further child Emily b1881. Frederick Whitworth married his wife Edith Keetley in 1906 at Nottingham, they lived at 15 St Peters Street, Radford they had two children, Fred Arthur born and died 1915 and Irene born and died 1917. In the 1911 census Frederick is living at 50 Schooner Street, Radford with his widowed mother in law, and are shown as Harriett Keetley 54 yrs a widow and lace mender Frederick Whitworth 26 yrs a wheelwright and his wife Edith Whitworth 22 yrs a lace mender. Frederick and Edith have been married for 5 yrs and have had 1 child who had died.
In the 1911 census he is a wheelwright
27 Oct 1918
640306 - CWGC Website
Lance Corporal
11th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers
Lance Corporal Frederick Whitworth enlisted at Nottingham, he served with the 11th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and landed in France on 25th August 1915. His battalion was transferred to Italy in late 1918 and he was killed in action in Italy on 27th October 1918 and is buried at Tezze British Cemetery, Italy.
HISTORY INFORMATION (origin CWGC website. The Italians entered the war on the Allied side, declaring war on Austria, in May 1915. Commonwealth forces were at the Italian front between November 1917 and November 1918. The village of Tezze was captured by the Austrians in the advance in the autumn of 1917 and remained in their hands until the Allied forces crossed the River Piave at the end of October 1918. On 21 October 1918, Commonwealth forces comprising the XIVth Corps (7th and 23rd Divisions), which had been transferred from the Asiago sector, took over the part of the River Piave front from Salletuol to Palazzon, serving as part of the Italian Tenth Army. On the night of 23 October, the main channel of the river was crossed using small boats and the northern half of the island of Grava di Papadopoli was occupied, the occupation being completed two nights later by a combined Commonwealth and Italian force. After the capture of the island, the bridging of the Piave proceeded rapidly, although the strength of the current meant that the two bridges built for the crossing were frequently broken and many men were drowned. The Allied attack east of the Piave began early in the morning of 27 October. Despite stiff resistance and difficulties with bringing forward supporting troops across the river, the Austrians were forced back over the next few days until the Armistice came into effect on 4 November. Many of those who died on the north-east side of the river during the Passage of the Piave are buried in Tezze British Cemetery. It now contains 356 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.
Remembered on