[Skip to content]

Person Details
Newark on Trent
Harry Squires was born in 1882 at Newark and was the son of George a coachman and groom and Mary Squires née Yellot of 111 Baldertongate, Newark. His father George was born in 1849 at Newark and his mother Mary Yellot was born in 1847 at Newark, they were married on 7th February 1869 at Sheffield, they went on to have 16 children, 5 of whom died in infancy or ealy childhood. Harry married Mary Jane Harris on 6th August 1906 at the Parish Church at Sutton in Ashfield, they went on to have three children , Nellie born 6th January 1909, Harry Norman born 11th July 1911 and Harold born 9th October 1913, all were born in Sutton in Ashfield. In the 1911 census Harry lived with his family as 50 Bowne Street, Sutton in Ashfield and were shown as Harry 29 yrs a coal miner, he is living with his wife Mary Jane 27 yrs and their daughter Nellie 2 yrs of age. In the same 1911census his parents are living at 111 Balderton Gate, Newark and are shown as George 61 yrs a groom and coachman, he s living with his wife Mary 64 yrs and their daughter Nellie 20 yrs a tailoress. Following Harry's death his widow Mary Jane was awarded a pension of 29 shillings and 7 pence a week for her and her 3 children, taking effect from 28th October 1918.
He was a miner (loader).
23 Apr 1918
2750767 - CWGC Website
38 Bowne Street, Sutton in Ashfield.
Royal Engineers
Pioneer Harry Squires attested at Mansfield on 10th January 1915, he gave his age as 31 yrs and 193 days and his occupation as that of a coal miner, he was living at 38 Bowne Street, Sutton in Ashfield and his next of kin was his wife Mary Jane of the same address. He was posted to the Sherwood Foresters Regiment with the service number 23107 and reported to their depot at Derby on 10th February 1915. He was posted to the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force on 25th October 1915 arriving at Alexandria on 3rd February 1916. He was later transferred to the British Expeditionary Force in France on 28th June 1916. He was posted to the Royal Engineers on 4th October 1917 and served with them until on 14th April 1918 he was admitted to hospital in France suffering from the effects of a gassing. He was returned to England on 15th April and admitted to Mill Road Military Hospital Liverpool suffering from severe bronchitis. He died at the hospital on 23rd April 1918 from capillary bronchitis as the result of being gassed. He was buried on 27th April 1918 at Sutton in Ashfield.
Remembered on


  • Harry Squires -