[Skip to content]

Person Details
Worksop, Notts
William Gerald Moore was born in 1898 at Worksop and was the son of William a boat owner and Mary Moore née Hare of The Mount, Sutton-on-Trent, Newark. His father William was born 1874 at Worksop and his mother Mary Hare was also born in 1874 at Worksop, they were married in 1896 at Worksop and went on to have the following children, William Gerald b1898 Worksop, Muriel Mary b1900 Worksop and Sarah Millicent b1902 Sutton Trent. In the 1911 census the family are living at The Mount Sutton on Trent and are shown as William 37 yrs a boat owner, he is living with his wife Mary 37 yrs and their children William Gerald 13 yrs a scholar, Muriel Mary 11 yrs a scholar and Sarah Millicent 9 yrs a scholar.
04 Feb 1917
2750729 - CWGC Website
Motor Transport Depot Grove Park Army Service Corps
Private William Gerald More served as Gerald Moore was called up t Newark whilst residing at Sutton on Trent on 5th January 1917, he served with the Army Service Corps, M.T. Depot (Grove Park). He died on 4th February 1917 of influenza at Southwold V.A.D. Hospital, Bickley, Kent , he is buried at Sutton-on-Trent Cemetery, Nottinghamshire.
Pte. Gerald Moore Worksop Guardian 16 February 1917 Our obituary column this week records the death of a young soldier, Transport Driver Gerald Moore, who was well known in Worksop, where he had many friends. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Moore, of Sutton-on-Trent, formally of Holmhurst, Worksop, and nephew of Mrs. Marsh, Victoria Square. He was born in Worksop, and on his parents removing to Sutton-on-Trent, he lived for some years with Mr. and Mrs. Marsh, and attended Ashley House School. Later, he was a pupil at Mount School Newark, and subsequently he became a motor mechanic. Though not enjoying good health his amiable disposition won him many friends, who heard with deep regret of his early death. He was called up on January 5th and joined the motor transport service. He had only been in training fourteen days and a half when he was taken ill, his constitution, presumably not being able to stand the cold and changed conditions of life. He was taken to Southwold Hospital suffering from severe influenza and catarrh. His mother and Aunt were wired but the poor lad could not speak, and only regained consciences for a few minutes during the ten days he lay ill. The end came very peacefully, and he passed away on February 4th in the arms of his mother, at the early age of 18 years. The internment took place at Sutton-on-Trent yesterday week, the service being conducted by the Vicar, the Rev. G. P. Proctor, who was assisted by his father, the Rev. A. Proctor. The chief mourners were Mr and Mrs Moore (mother and father), Mr and Mrs O.C.Marsh, Worksop. (aunt and uncle), Muriel and Millicent (sisters) Mr and Miss Roomers, Mrs Ward, Miss Scott Florence, and many other friends. On Sunday morning the Vicar preaching on the ‘Sorrows of this world’ said that he and everybody had received a great blow when they heard of the death of their loving brother, Gerald Moore. As they all knew, he was too delicate and gentle to battle with the world. He eluded to the time when he was a choir boy and cross bearer, and a regular communicant, always attending the early celebration. Their hearts went out with sympathy to those so greatly bereaved.
Remembered on