[Skip to content]



Person Details
Nottingham
He was the son of William and Agnes Spencer and the brother of James (b.1887), Frederick (b.1890), Elizabeth (b.1892), Mary (b.1894), Annie (b.1897), William (b.1902), Sarah (b.1904) and Elsie (b.1907) Spencer. In 1891 the family lived at 13, Lime Street, in 1901 at 37, Latham Street and in 1911 at 68, Belgrave Street (all Bulwell, Nottingham). George married Ethel Gidlow in 1912 and their daughter Hilda Spencer was born 20/5/1916. They lived at 36, Market Side, Bulwell, Nottingham. Ethel was granted 16/- per week separation allowance, 3/6d of which was deducted from George's pay. With effect from 20/5/1918, Ethel received a weekly pension of 20/5d for herself and daughter.
George Spencer attended Coventry Road School, Bulwell. In 1911, he was a railway wagon repairer and a tacking room clerk upon enlistment.
03 Nov 1917
29
157349 - CWGC Website
86317
58, Commercial Road, Bulwell, Nottingham
Private
Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
170th Coy He attested at Nottingham 8/12/1915 under Lord Derby's Scheme standing 5' 3" and weighing 133lbs. He joined the army reserve the following day and was mobilised 30/11/1916. He was posted to the South Staffordshire Regiment (67806) 2/12/1916, transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 15/2/1917 and posted to 170th Coy 17/4/1917. He died of wounds. He is buried in Solferino Farm Military Cemetery, Belgium, Grave Reference: II A 5
Remembered on