[Skip to content]

Person Details
13 Dec 1894
Arnold, Nottingham
Jesse was the son of Arthur and Sarah Ann Brierley. Arthur Brierley (b. Arnold) and Sarah Ann Reynolds (b. Wellow) were married in Nottingham in 1887 (Jul/Aug/Sep) and from information on the census of 1891 and 1901 probably had four children; Joseph/Josiah Frederick (Frederick), William Henry, Robert Arthur (Arthur) and Jesse. All four boys were born in Arnold, In 1891 Arthur (27), a labourer, and Sarah (25) were living on Gedling Road, Arnold, with their two sons, Joseph Frederick (3) and William (2 months). Also in the household was a boarder, Teresa Wakelin (18), a laundress. Arthur and Sarah were to have two more sons, Robert Arthur (Arthur) and Jesse (b. 1894). Arthur died in 1898 (Apr/May/Jun) aged 36 and the following year his widow married Charles Blackman (1899, Jul/Aug/Sep) and moved with her four sons to Mansfield Woodhouse. In 1901 Charles (52), a coal miner, and Sarah (35) were living at 5 Thoresby Road, Mansfield Woodhouse, with Sarah's four sons: Frederick (12), William (10), Arthur (8) and Jesse (6). The brothers retained the surname 'Brierley'. By 1911 the family was living at 88 Sherwood Street, Mansfield Woodhouse. The census form gives the information that Charles and Sarah had had three children born alive of whom only one was still living; their surviving child was a daughter, Violet Emily (5). Charles' four stepsons were still living at home; Josiah was out of work but his brothers worked at a pit, William was a banksman and both Arthur and Jesse were pony drivers. Also in the household was Martha Elizabeth Russell, described as a 'friend', who worked as domestic servant. Two years later Jesse joined the Royal Marine Light Infantry. Charles and Sarah were still living at 88 Sherwood Street when Jesse was killed in 1915. At least two of Jesse's brothers, Josiah and William, served in the Great War although Josiah was discharged after less than a month having been found 'unlikely to become and efficient soldier.' (His record notes that he had spent two weeks in prison for 'common assault' before he attested). Josiah had enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters (12513) on 17 August 1914 and was discharged on 24 September 1914. William served from August 1914 to September 1918 and rejoined the army in the Sherwood Foresters (122188) on 15 May 1919. However, he then committed a series of offences for which he was disciplined and on 14 October 1920 he was discharged from the army 'his services no longer being required, IAW para 392 XXX KR'. His character was described as 'indifferent'. He was discharged to 88 Sherwood Street.
In 1911 he was a pony driver (coal pit). He joined the RMLI (Chatham Division) on 11 April 1913.
01 Jan 1915
4003697 - CWGC Website
Royal Marine Light Infantry
Jesse joined the RMLI (Chatham Division) when he was 18 years old. His last ship was HMS. Formidable, a pre-Dreadnought battleship. Formidable was on exercises in the English Channel when she was struck by two torpedoes fired by the German submarine, U-24. It took about forty five minutes for HMS Formidable to sink and while some of the crew were rescued by nearby vessels 35 officers and 512 men from a complement of 780 ship's company were lost. Jesse's body was not recovered for burial and he is commemorated on Chatham Naval Memorial.
Remembered on