[Skip to content]

Person Details
28 Jun 1896
Sledmere Yorkshire
George was the third son of James Stanhope Jenoure and Ada Isabel Jenoure (nee Houghton). James Jenoure was born in 1861 (christened Cheetham St Mark, Lancashire, 17 November 1861) one of five children of Katharine and Rev Henry Courtenay Jenoure (born Epperstone, Notts), who in 1871 was the vicar of St Helen's, Burton Joyce, Nottingham. James and Ada were married at St Gabriel's church, Deritend, Warwickshire, on 25 July 1883 and had four children; Douglas Stanhope Houghton (b. 1883 Elton Notts, registered O/N/D Shardlow, Derbyshire), Irene Florence (b. Hampton-in-Arden, birth registered 1887, J/F/M Meriden Warks), Arthur (b. 11 September 1893, Stoke on Trent) and George Ethelred (b. 28 June 1896, Sledmere, Yorkshire) At the time of the 1891 census James (29) was a boarder at 42 Bedford Road, Clapham, London; his occupation being a 'missionary to the deaf and dumb'. Meanwhile his wife Ada (33) and their two children, Douglas (7) and Irene Florence (4), were living with her widowed mother, an elementary school mistress, and Ada's sister, Florence (also an elementary school teacher), at Peel House, Hampton in Arden. By the time of the 1901 census, Ada, a worker for a lace curtain manufacturer, together with her children, Irene (14) and George Ethelred (4), were boarders in the household of a widow, Marian Hawkins, and her daughter, Sarah, at 24 Gladstone Street, Beeston, in the parish of St John the Baptist. Her husband, an assistant school teacher, was in the household as a visitor. Their two other sons, Douglas and Arthur, have not yet been traced on the 1901 Census. Irene married Garnet Alfred Baumfield in 1904 (marriage registered A/M/J Nottingham). By 1911 Ada was living with her daughter Irene, son-in-law Garnet and grandsons Raymond Massey (6) and Shaunie King (5), at 52 Burns Street, Nottingham. At the same date her husband, James (49), now a private tutor, was a boarder at 42 Bedford Road, Clapham, London. Her son Douglas (27) was a boarder at 19 Abbott Street, Doncaster, giving his occupation as dental practitioner although when he joined the army his occupation was 'dental mechanic'. George (14), was a train recorder, a boarder in the household of Mary Jane Mounsey, a widow, at 37 Cross Flatts Parade, Beeston, Leeds. Arthur had joined the Royal Navy in June 1910 straight from a naval training school, and in April 1911 he was a signal boy onboard HMS Hampshire in HM Dockyard Portsmouth. At the time of George's death in 1914 his mother was still living at 52 Burns Street. Arthur was a leading signalman (J/8717) when he died onboard HMS Hampshire which was sunk by a mine off Orkney on 5 June 1916. Field Marshall Lord Kitchener, Secretary of State for War, and his staff were onboard Hampshire en-route for Russia and they and 643 of Hampshire's crew were lost. Ada Jenoure died in Nottingham in 1929. James Jenoure later lived in Manchester and died there on 13 April 1947 and was buried in the Southern Cemetery, Manchester on 16 April. Probate (effects £102 14s) was awarded to his widowed daughter, Irene, whose husband Garnet had died a few months earlier in February. Irene died aged 62 in 1949 (death registered Dec, Surrey North-eastern). The third brother, Douglas, was married on 22 December 1914 at St Matthias Church, Nottingham, to Elizabeth Potter and they had two children, James Houghton, born 26 June 1915, and Joan Houghton born 10 September 1917. The family lived at 77 Goldsmith Street, Nottingham. He was called up for service on 9 January 1917 in the Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport (regimental number 97284) but was later compulsory transferred to the Machine Gun Corps before finishing his time in the army in the Tank Corps. Douglas only served at home and was demobilized to the Army Reserve on 12 March 1919, being discharged on 31 March 1920. He died in Surrey in 1963.
In 1911 he was a train recorder. He joined the Royal Navy on 7 November 1912 giving his occupation as 'clerk'.
01 Nov 1914
2871429 - CWGC Website
Ordinary Signalman
HMS Good Hope Royal Navy
George joined the Royal Navy at HMS Ganges on 7 November 1912 and on 28 June 1914, his 18th birthday, engaged in the Navy for 12 years. He served in the following ships and shore establishments: HMS Ganges 7 November 1912 -11 November 1913 (Boy 2nd Class, Signal Boy 23 June 1913); Victory II, 15 November 1913-2 January 1914; HMS Prince of Wales , 3 January 1914-22 May 1914 (Ordinary Signaller, 26 March); HMS Irresistible, 23 May 1914-24 June 1914; HMS Prince of Wales, 25 June 1914-30 July 1914; HMS Good Hope, 31 July 1914-1 November 1914. His service record was annotated: ‘NP2788/14. DD 1 November 1914. Lost when HMS Good Hope was sunk in action off Chilean Coast.’ His body was not recovered for burial and he is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. He qualified for the 1914/15 Star, the British War Medal and Victory Medal. BATTLE OF CORONEL 1 November 1914: The Admiralty had ordered Admiral Cradock who had been working his way down the east coast of South America searching for German raiders and merchantmen, to concentrate a strong-enough squadron off the southern coast of Chile to intercept Admiral von Spee's East Asiatic Cruiser Squadron which was crossing the Pacific for South American waters. Cradock's main force comprised two old armoured cruisers, his flagship HMS Good Hope (Captain Philip Franklin of Gonalston, Nottinghamshire), and HMS Monmouth (Captain Frank Brandt), which were newly-commissioned with large numbers of reservists, and the light cruiser HMS Glasgow and an armed merchant cruiser, Otranto. Von Spee's force comprised the armoured cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the modern light cruisers Leipzig and Dresden and later the Nürnberg. The British and German squadrons encountered each other on 1 November when each was deployed in a line of search for their opponent. They sailed slowly on a converging course for several hours, in difficult sea conditions. Cradock made a signal at 6.18pm that he was going to attack, although the Germans held their fire until Cradock’s squadron became silhouetted against the afterglow of sunset around 7pm. Only Good Hope had guns which could match the enemy’s but neither Good Hope’s nor Monmouth’s 6” guns had the range of the German ships. Attacked by superior fire power, Good Hope, which had been hit repeatedly, blew up shortly before 8pm; there were no survivors. At around 9.25pm Monmouth, which had already been disabled by gunfire, sank after being hit continuously at point blank range; none of the ship's company were saved. Although hit five times Glasgow did not suffer any casualties and she and Otranto, were able to escape. Admiral von Spee's ships suffered little damage and few casualties. BATTLE OF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS: Unsurprisingly, when news of the defeat was received in Britain, the country demanded revenge. Six weeks later, on 8 December, the German squadron was attacked off Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands by a stronger Royal Navy force under Admiral Sir Doveton Sturdee. Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Liepzig and Nurnburg were sunk with some 2,000 casualties, including Admiral von Spee and his two sons.
Remembered on