[Skip to content]

Person Details
Long Eaton, Derbyshire
He was the son of Richard Salt and Mary Ann Piggin. Born First Quarter 1877, his father was born in Stapleford and his mother in Dale Abbey. Mary Ann was the daughter of Thomas Hancock of Boya Grange, Dale Abbey. His father was a butcher and farmer of some 60 acres in and around Long Eaton. On the 1881 Census he is living with his parents and brother, Henry Arthur, at High Street, Long Eaton. His father is listed as butcher and farmer. On the 1891 Census he was living with his parents and siblings - Henry Arthur, Frank and Elizabeth Anne - at 35 High Street, Long Eaton. His father was listed as a farmer/butcher. Frederick is at school. In 1901, he was in South Africa with his brother Henry. His parents and siblings in 1901 were living at 34 High Street, Long Eaton. His father is listed as a farmer who lived at 19, Chapel Street, Long Eaton. In 1910, he had a butchers at 24 High Street, Long Eaton but was declared bankrupt (Edinburgh Gazette 6th September 1910). He lived at Hall Croft, Beeston when bankruptcy declared. In 1911,he was living with his parents and siblings - Henry Arthur and Elizabeth Anne - at Beeston House, 10 West End, Beeston, Nottingham. His father was listed as a horse dealer and Frederick as a riding instructor. He applied for Discharge of Bankruptcy 19th June 1912 (London Gazette 17th May 1912). His effects of £686/9s/8d were left to Frederick’s sister (Probate 13/6/1919) Probate was granted to his sister 13th June 1919. Estate £686 9s. 8d. Frederick's mother died on 2nd October 1924 aged 77 and his father on 28th December 1931 aged 87.
On 1911 Census he is listed as a riding instructor.
27 May 1918
1438985 - CWGC Website
'Beeston House' 10 West End Beeston Nottingham.
  • MC MC Military Cross
South Nottinghamshire Hussars
He joined 2nd Brabant’s Horse as 923 Quartermaster Sergeant 15th December 1899 to fight in the Boer War. He was wounded at Jammersburg Drift between 9th and 24th April 1900 and again at Lindley 31st December 1900. He transferred to 1st Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts, commanded by Lt Col Johan Colenbrander, as 1295 Trooper on 11th May 1901.He was discharged 26th Feb 1902 on completion of service in Cape Town and returned from South Africa aboard R.M.S. Kildonan Castle. He was appointed squadron sergeant major of the South Nottinghamshire Hussars in 1914 and commissioned second lieutenant 7th November 1914 (London Gazette 26th November 1914). He was promoted to temporary lieutenant 12th November 1915 (London Gazette 6th October 1916) and temporary captain 22/11/1916 (London Gazette 22nd November 1916). He arrived at Salonica with 1/1st South Notts Hussars in Salonika 9th June 1917. He was awarded the MC 4th February 1918 (London Gazette 4th February 1918 and Edinburgh Gazette 6th February 1918. Citation appeared in London Gazette 5th July 1918 and Edinburgh Gazette 8th July 1918). He was drowned 27th May, 1918 aboard troop transport ship Leasowe Castle.
The South Notts Hussars had been fighting in the Middle East and they were moving to France after they were merged with Warwickshire Yeomanry in April 1918 to form B Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps. On 19th August 1918 they were renamed as 100th (Warwickshire and South Nottinghamshire Yeomanry) Battalion, Machine Gun Corps. On 26th May 1918 they embarked on a transport ship called the "Leasowe Castle" . On 27th May, the ship was struck by a torpedo with devastating results. The "Leasowe Castle" was one of a convoy of six transporters and they were accompanied by a number of destroyers. The weather was good, the sea was calm and a brilliant moon shone in the night sky. At 1.30 am on May 27th 1918 when the ship was about 104 miles from Alexandria, the "Leasowe Castle" was struck by a torpedo on the starboard side. The engines were immediately stopped. The troops mustered to their stations, rolls were called, boats lowered and rafts flung overboard. The Japanese destroyer "R" stood by, while the remainder of the convoy continued on their journey at full speed. We are informed that perfect order was maintained on board, the men standing quietly at their stations as if on parade, while those detailed for the work assisted in lowering the boats. Lifeboats were launched in the course of forty five minutes and the rescue attempt continued smoothly. The "Leasowe Castle" remained fairly steady, though sinking a little at the stern, with a slight list to port. All of 'B' (Warwickshire Yeomanry) Company of the Battalion went over the port side and were picked up in the water. About 1.45am. HM sloop "Lily" appeared having turned back from the convoy to assist in the work of rescue. She ran her bows up to the starboard side of the "Leasowe Castle" and made fast, so that troops were able to pass quickly on board. Meanwhile the Japanese destroyer put up a smoke screen for protection. Suddenly about 3.00am a bulkhead in the aft part of the ship gave way, and with a loud noise the "Leasowe Castle" sank rapidly. The "Lily" had a narrow escape, as the hawsers connecting her with the sinking ship were cut with an axe just in time. Captain Piggin along with 48 other officers and men from the South Notts Hussars were drowned. His brother Henry Arthur served in the same units as Frederick in South Africa and returned home with him. He was appointed Transport Officer and Honorary Lieutenant, 1st North Midland Field Ambulance 1st May 1914. He is shown as landing in France in December 1914 before the 1st/1st Field Ambulance arrived in theatre. He resigned his commission in May 1915 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the South Notts Hussars, and is shown on the medal roll as serving with them in theatre, so served with 1st/1st South Notts Hussars. Later joined the Army Remount Service and rose to be Temporary Captain. He survived the war and resigned his commission in 1920 Another brother Frank also went to South Africa and served in the 1906 Natal Rebellion as a Trooper with the Transvaal Mounted Rifles. His Medal Index Card shows that he later served as 3191 Private Derbyshire Yeomanry before he transferred to Durham Light Infantry as Private and was renumbered 42995. He later transferred to Royal Army Medical Corps as Private and was renumbered 161141. He is on the 1914-1915 Star Roll serving with RAMC, so it is likely that he served overseas with them. This is most likely to have been with the Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, RAMC which landed in Egypt in April 1915, as he was commissioned a Honorary Lieutenant in the North Midland Mounted Field Ambulance, before being appointed Second Lieutenant in North Midland Divisional Train, with precedence as from 28th October 1914, on 7th April 1916. A second Medal Index Card indicates that he entered theatre as a Captain, on 20th February 1917. This appears to have been with the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division, as they entered France in February. He rose to the rank of Acting Captain and resigned his commission in 1921. All Saints Church, Dale Abbey, Derbyshire, family headstone to Richard Salt Piggin and his wife Annie Piggin; 'Also Captn Frederic Williams Piggin, M.C. South Notts Hussars eldest son of the above who gave his life for his country [obscured] May 26th 1918.' Note: Piggin is not named on the Dale Abbey village war memorial in All Saints churchyard; he was born in Long Eaton and lived in Beeston and did not live in Dale Abbey. See also: www.beeston-notts.co.uk/ww1_piggin.shtml Nottingham Evening Post, 1 June 1918 (extract): ‘Local Yeomanry Officers. Reported Missing, believed Drowned. Official news reached Nottingham yesterday that three well-known Yeomanry officers, Captain Fredk. Wm Piggin, MC, Captain Sydney Hanson, and Lieut. JCG Warwick, are missing and believed drowned. Telegrams conveying the sad messages were received by the parents from the authorities at York, and in a fourth case, that of Captain FP Holmes, a similar intimation was happily followed by a telegram containing reassuring news that he was a survivor. Further information as to the missing officers is being awaited with keen anxiety. Captain Piggin is the eldest son of Mr RS Piggin, and has served in the Yeomanry for 23 years. He went through the Boer war, and was wounded, and on the outbreak of the present war was given a commission in the unit with which he had been so long actively identified. He proceeded on active service early in 1915, and served in the Dardanelles, Salonika, and Egypt, being awarded the Military Cross a few months ago in recognition of gallantry in capturing some Turkish guns. Captain Piggin has had the good fortune during the war to miss no fewer than three boats on which he intended to sail, and which all met with disaster.' (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk) Note: family headstone gives first names as Frederic Williams.
Remembered on


  • -
  • Piggin family grave, All Saints churchyard, Dale Abbey, Derbyshire. Photograph Rachel Farrand (January 2011).
    Frederic Williams Piggin - Piggin family grave, All Saints churchyard, Dale Abbey, Derbyshire. Photograph Rachel Farrand (January 2011).
  • Piggin family grave, All Saints churchyard, Dale Abbey, Derbyshire. Photograph Rachel Farrand (January 2011).
    Frederic Williams Piggin - Piggin family grave, All Saints churchyard, Dale Abbey, Derbyshire. Photograph Rachel Farrand (January 2011).
  • Chatby Memorial -