[Skip to content]

Person Details
Greasley Nottinghamshire
James Allsop Rogers was born in 1887 at Greasley and was the son of William a farmer and Elizabeth Fearson Rogers née Moss of Frearson Farm New Eastwood Nottinghamshire, His father William was born in 1854 at Greasley, his mother Elizabeth Fearson Moss was born in 1854 at Eastwood, they were married in 1876 their marriage was recorded in the Basford registration district, they went on to have 14 children, sadly 3 died in infancy or early childhood, their children were all born in Greasley/Eastwood and were Edith Ellen b1879, William b1883, Elizabeth Beatrice b1885, James Allsop b1887, Thomas b1889, Stephen Fearson b1890, Esther Mable b1892, Sarah Elizabeth b1894, Harold b1895, Gwendoline b1897, Florence Ethel b1898 and Francis Wheatcroft b1900. James Allsop Rogers married Kate Schofield (born 1886) in 1907 their marriage was recorded in the Basford registration district, Kate brought a child to the marriage Reginald Schofield born 1905, they had two further children, Mary Ellen b1907 and Mabel Elizabeth b1911. they lived at Newthorpe Common. In the 1911 census James and his family are living at Newthorpe Common and are shown as James Allsop 23 yrs a farm labourer, he is living with his wife Kate 25 yrs and their daughter Mary Ellen 3 yrs of age. In the same 1911 census his parents and siblings are living at Fearson Farm Eastwood and are shown as William 56 yrs farmer, he is living wit his wife Elizabeth Fearson 55 yrs and their children, William 28 yrs a farmers assistant, Thomas 22 yrs a farmers assistant, Stephen Fearson 21 yrs a farmers assistant, Esther Mable 19 yrs Sarah Elizabeth 17 yrs a milliner Gwendoline 14 yrs a scholar, Florence Ethel 13 yrs a scholar. His widow Kate was awarded a pension of 32 shillings and 1 pence a week which commenced on 6th January 1919.
He was a farm labourer.
27 May 1918
1439050 - CWGC Website
South Nottinghamshire Hussars
Sergeant James Allsop Rogers enlisted at Greasley, he was one of three serving brother, he served with the South Nottinghamshire Hussars and saw action in Palestine and at Gallipoli from where he was invalided home in late 1915. He was slightly wounded in the left arm on November 29th 1917. He held a first class certificate from Aldershot as a bombing instructor. He died on 27th May 1918 when he was travelling on board the 'Leasow Castle' when it was struck by a torpedo and sank. Having no known memorial his name is commemorated on the Chatby Memorial , Egypt.
This account is from a local resident posted on the Woodborough village website. The Hussars had been fighting in the Middle East and they were returning to France where they were to be re-formed as a machine gun company. Their new title was to be the South Notts Machine Gun Battalion. They were sent to Alexandria, Egypt and had received orders to embark on a transporter ship called the "Leasowe Castle" on 23th May 1918 ¹. On 27th May, the ship was struck by a torpedo with devastating results. A very detailed account of the fateful journey may be read in the historical records of the South Notts Hussars Yeomanry by G. Fellows. The "Leasowe Castle" was one of a convoy of six transporters and they were accompanied by a number of destroyers. The weather was good, the sea was calm and a brilliant moon shone in the night sky. At 1.30 am on May 27th 1918 when the ship was about 104 miles from Alexandria, the "Leasowe Castle" was struck by a torpedo on the starboard side. The engines were immediately stopped. The troops mustered to their stations, rolls were called, boats lowered and rafts flung overboard. The Japanese destroyer "R" stood by, while the remainder of the convoy continued on their journey at full speed. We are informed that perfect order was maintained on board, the men standing quietly at their stations as if on parade, while those detailed for the work assisted in lowering the boats. Lifeboats were launched in the course of forty five minutes and the rescue attempt continued smoothly. The "Leasowe Castle" remained fairly steady, though sinking a little at the stern, with a slight list to port. All of 'B' (Warwickshire Yeomanry) Company of the Battalion went over the port side and were picked up in the water. About 1.45am. HM sloop "Lily" appeared having turned back from the convoy to assist in the work of rescue. She ran her bows up to the starboard side of the "Leasowe Castle" and made fast, so that troops were able to pass quickly on board. Meanwhile the Japanese destroyer put up a smoke screen for protection. Suddenly about 3.00am a bulkhead in the aft part of the ship gave way, and with a loud noise the "Leasowe Castle" sank rapidly. The "Lily" had a narrow escape, as the hawsers connecting her with the sinking ship were cut with an axe just in time.
Remembered on