[Skip to content]



  • Buried in Salonkia (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery. Greece. (www.cwgc.org)
Person Details
Basford Nottingham
William Crow was the son of William Stenson Crow (later Stenson) and his wife Mary (née Wall). His father William Stenson Crow was born in Old Basford in 1860. He was recorded on the 1861 Census living in Basford with his mother Mary Crow who was head of household and described as 'soldier's wife', and his older sister Sarah Ann. It is likely that in 1871 at the age of 11 he, and possibly a younger brother Joseph (9), were inmates at Basford Union Workhouse. William Crow married Mary Wall at Basford Register Office in 1882 (A/M/J Basford) and had at least five children, one of whom died in infancy. The births were registered as 'Crow' (mother's maiden name Wall): Ethel b. Basford 1883, Mary b. 1886 d. 1886, William b. Basford 1887 bap. 4 August 1887, Bernard b. Basford 1891 and Clara b. Bulwell 1898 (reg. J/F/M). There are records that all the children except Bernard were baptised at Basford St Leodegarius a few months after their births (surname Crow). Acording to the baptismal records, William and Mary were living in Basford on Thurlow Street in 1883, Wilton Terrace in 1886 and Wilton Street in 1887 then in Bulwell in 1898. However, on the 1891 Census the family was recorded using the surname Stenson. William (31) a chemical furnace stoker, and Mary (27) were living at 44 Vernon Avenue, Basford, with their children Ethel (8) and William (3); their daughter Mary had died five years previously. By 1901 William (Stenson) was a grocer with a beer off licence at 71 Dorset Street, Radford. In the home on the night of the census were his wife Mary and their four children Ethel, William who was a milk boy, Bernard (9) and Clara (3). William jnr. attested in the King's Royal Rifle Corps (6372 Rifleman) in February 1905 but was discharged ('Misstatement') the following month. William snr. died on 4 September 1907; the probate record gave his address as 71 Dorset Street, occupation grocer and provision merchant. His widow Mary died three years later on 23 June 1910. In 1911, Bernard, a colliery banksman labourer, and his sister Clara were living at 55 Croydon Road, Old Radford, with their married sister Ethel Lamb (m. 1905, Stenson-Lamb), her husband John Mills, a miner, and their three children. William had married Agnes Elizabeth Spencer (b. 1888) in 1910 and he and his wife with their infant daughter Constance Mary were living at 50 High Street, Basford, with his wife's parents Hill and Hannah Spencer and their six children. William and Agnes had two more daughters, Winifred May (b. 1913) and Ida Maud (b. 1915). The family later lived at 103 Whitemoor Road, Basford, and was still at the same address at the time of William's death in 1916. In 1939 when the England & Wales Register was compiled Agnes Elizabeth and her unmarried daughter Ida, were living at 107 Whitemoor Road, Basford. Her two other daughters were married and Ida married in 1940. Agnes died in 1968. William's brother Bernard served in the war with the Leicester Regiment and was killed in Mesopotamia in January 1916.
1901 - milk boy. 1905 - baker. 1911 - journeyman baker.
09 Oct 1916
29
625568 - CWGC Website
S4/093406
Private
24th Field Bakery Army Service Corps
24th Field Bakery Army Service Corps William attested in the King's Royal Rifle Corps (6372) on 7 February 1905 giving his age as 18 years 7 months, occupation baker. He named his next of kin as his parents and brother Bernard of 71 Dorset Street, Radford, and his married sister Ethel Lamb of Arthur Grove, Radford. Wililam joined the Corps at Winchester on 9 February but was discharged 'misstatment' (not specified) on 3 March 1905 having served just 35 days. William served in the Army Service Corps during the First World War and died at No. 30 Stationary Hospital, Salonika, on 9 October 1916. He is buried in Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery. Greece (547). CWGC - History of Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery (extract): ' Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery (formerly known as the Anglo-French Military Cemetery) was begun in November 1915 and Commonwealth, French, Serbian, Italian and Russian sections were formed. The Commonwealth section remained in use until October 1918, although from the beginning of 1917, burials were also made in Mikra British Cemetery. After the Armistice, some graves were brought in from other cemeteries in Macedonia, Albania and from Scala Cemetery, near Cassivita, on the island of Thasos.' (www.cwgc.org)
His brother Bernard Stenson served in the 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regiment (18129 Private) and was killed in Mesopotamia on 7 September 1916. (See record on this Roll of Honour) CWGC: Son of William and Mary Stenson, late of Radford, Nottingham; husband of Agnes Stenson, of 103, Whitemoor Rd., Old Basford, Nottingham. CWGC headstone personal inscription 'Duty nobly done' Probate: Stenson William of 103 Whitemoor-road Nottingham private in HM Army died 9 October 1916 at Salonika Greece Administration (with Will) Nottingham 5 April to Agnes Elizabeth Stenson widow. Effects £160. WW1 Pension Ledgers Index Cards: named his widow Agnes Elizabeth
Remembered on

Photos

  • Buried in Salonkia (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery. Greece. (www.cwgc.org)
    William Crow Stenson - Buried in Salonkia (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery. Greece. (www.cwgc.org)