[Skip to content]

Person Details
01 Aug 1887
Ashwell Rutland
Reuben was the second son of Herbert Wade Carpendale and his wife Anne (also Anna/Annie) nee Carpendale. Herbert Wade Carpendale was the son of Joseph and Susannah Carpendale and born in Ashwell, Rutland, in 1867 (J/A/S Oakham). He was baptised in Ashwell parish church on 9 February 1868. In 1881 Herbert was living with his parents and siblings Benjamin and Mary in Ashwell, Rutland, and employed as a railway messenger. Anne Carpendale was the daughter of Ruth Carpendale and born in Whissendine, Rutland, in 1868 (J/F/M Oakham). She was baptised in Oakham parish church on 16 February 1868. At the time of both the 1871 and 1881 Census Anne was living with her grandparents, Reuben and Elizabeth Carpendale, in Whissendine, Oakham. Herbert and Anne were married in 1886 (O/N/D Oakham, Rutland). Acording to the banns of marriage read on 13 December 1885 in Ashwell parish church, Herbert was 18 years old and a resident of Ashchurch, Gloucestershire, while Anne aged 17 was living in Ashwell, Rutland. The couple had three children: George Herbert b. Whittington Moor, Derbyshire, 1886 (A/M/J Chesterfield) and baptised in the Anglican church, Newbold, Derbyshire, on 3 September 1886; Reuben Benjamin b. Ashwell 1 August 1887 (J/A/S Oakham) and baptised in the parish church of Ashwell on 18 August 1887 and Herbert Bertie b. Ashwell 5 September 1888 (J/A/S Oakham) and baptised in the parish church of Ashwell on 16 September 1888. The birth places of the three boys suggest the family was living in Derbyshire at the time of George's birth in 1886 and in Rutland between 1887 and 1888 when Reuben and Herbert were born in Ashwell. However, by 1891 Herbert and Anne and their three sons, George (5), Reuben (3) and Herbert (2) were living at The Lodge, Langrick Road, 'south of the Witham', Boston, Lincolnshire. Herbert (23) was working as a railway signalnman. By 1901 the family had moved to Sutton-on-Trent, near Newark, and living on the Great North Road. Herbert (33) was still working as a signalman for the Great Northern Railway while George (15) was a baker's assistant, Reuben (13) a grocer's assistant and Herbert (12) was still at school. By 1911 it was likely that none of the boys were living with their parents: Reuben had joined the Royal Navy in 1904 and was serving in HMS Minotaur and George had married in 1907 and was living in Morley, Yorkshire. The youngest son, Herbert, has not yet been traced on the 1911 Census. Their parents were still living on the Great North Road, Sutton-on-Trent, in 1911 and Herbert was still working as a signalman. He and Anne had adopted a child, Doris Barle (7 b. Sutton on Trent). Also in the household was a boarder, John Pell (15) a railway porter. It appears that Herbert Wade and Anne emigrated to New Zealand in 1913 and the CWGC record gives their address as Ann's Street, Tinwald, Ashburton. Herbert probably died in New Zealand in 1953 and Anna (sic) in 1957. Of Reuben's brothers: George Herbert married Alice Maude Bailey in 1907 (A/M/J Isle of Wight) and in 1911 they were living at 21 Hastley Building, Bridge Street, Morley, Yorkshire. George (25) was a railway porter. He and Alice (27) had one child, Robert Herbert (3, b. Sutton-on-Trent), birth registered 1908 (J/F/M Southwell). The family emigrated to New Zealand as their deaths are recorded there: Alice Maud (sic) in 1927, George Herbert in 1963 and Robert Herbert in 1987. Harold Bertie married Nellie Cox (b. 15 March 1891) in 1916 (A/M/J Southwell). They probably had three children: Samuel b. 1917 (J/A/S Southwell), Nellie b. 1919 (A/M/J Southwell) and Dorothy b. 21 January 1921 (J/F/M Bakewell Derbyshire); all the records give their mother's maiden name as 'Cox'. The electoral registers of 1925 and 1926 list a Harold Bertie Carpendale living in Carlton-in-Lindrick, Nottinghamshire, and in Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire, in 1928. However, in 1939 at the time of the England & Wales Register, Harold, a jobbing gardener, and Nellie were living at 144 Newgate Lane, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. Their youngest daughter, Dorothy, a tin box machinist, was still living at home. Harold death was registered in 1955 (J/F/M Mansfield); he was 66 years old.
He was a grocer's assistant in 1901 but working as a railway porter when he joined the Royal Navy on 26 March 1904.
31 May 1916
2876065 - CWGC Website
He was a grocer's assistant in 1901 but working as a railway porter when he joined the Royal Navy in 1904
Stoker 1st Class
HMS Black Prince Royal Navy
Reuben joined the Royal Navy as a Boy Second Class on 26 March 1904 and enlisted on a 12 years Continuous Service Engagement on 1 August 1905, his eighteenth birthday. He served in the following ships and shore establishments: HMS Ganges, 26 March 1904-5 May 1905 (Boy 2nd Class, Boy 1st Class 5 October 1905); Boscowen II, 6 May 1905-10 August 1905 (Ordinary Seaman 10 August 1905); Victory I, 11 August 1905-31 August 1905; HMS Revenge, 1 September 1905-7 September 1905; Victory I, 8 September 1905-25 September 1905; HMS Patrol, 26 September 1905-31 March 1907; HMS Nelson, 1 April 1907-18 June 1907 (Stoker 2nd Class 1 April); HMS Iphigenie, 19 June 1907-27 September 1907; Victory II, 28 September 1907-30 September 1907; HMS Forward, 1 October 1907-4 October 1909 (Stoker 1st Class 29 January 1908); Victory II, 5 October 1909-28 December 1909; HMS Minotaur, 29 December 1909-25 May 1912; HMS Spartiate, 26 May 1912-10 July 1912; Victory II, 11 July 1912-12 October 1912; HMS Vernon, 13 October 1912-20 April 1914; HMS Black Prince 21 April 1914-31 May 1916. His RN service record was annotated: ‘NP4065/1916. DD [Discharged Dead] 31st May, 1916. Killed in action’ Reuben died at the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916. His body was not recovered for burial and he is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. HMS Black Prince: The circumstances surrounding her loss were unclear for many years because there were no positive sightings of Black Prince after 17.42. Recent historians hold to the German account of the ship's sinking. Black Prince briefly engaged the German battleship Rheinland at about 23:35 GMT, scoring two hits with 6-inch shells. Separated from the rest of the British fleet, Black Prince approached the German lines at approximately midnight. She turned away from the German battleships, but it was too late. The German battleship Thüringen fixed Black Prince in her searchlights and opened fire. Up to five other German ships, including battleships Nassau, Ostfriesland, and Friedrich der Grosse, joined in the bombardment, with return fire from Black Prince being ineffective. Most of the German ships were between 750 and 1500 yards of Black Prince - effectively point blank range for contemporary naval gunnery. Black Prince was hit by at least twelve heavy shells and several smaller ones, sinking within 15 minutes. There were no survivors from Black Prince's crew, all 857 being killed.
See: www.rutlandremembers.org/fallen/95/carpendale-stoker-1st-class-reuben-benjamin. Photograph and short biography which includes the following: 'George Phillips [author, 'Rutland and The Great War' published 1920, republished 2014] wrote of Reuben Carpendale: "He was a well read young man, especially keen on eugenics, and had a clear insight into foreign political relations. When visiting England in August 1912, he was most emphatic in stating that there would be a war with Germany within two years. In the last letter home, he wrote: 'There will be many grieve for loved ones, for it is good to die for the freedom of the dear old land, and I am quite sure we are going to come out on top.'" Reuben is remembered on Panel 17 of the Portsmouth Naval Memorial and also on the war memorial in Sutton on Trent. But he is not remembered in his home village of Ashwell, or in Egleton where he spent the months leading up to war.’ The Bundeswehr Museum of Military History, Dresden: Painting, oil on canvas: ‘SMS Thueringen destroys the English cruiser Black Prince in a night battle at 2am on 1 June.’ Clause Bergen (1885-1964). Caption: 'Present given by the commander of Thueringen, Captain Hans Kuesel, to his nephew in 1921. Bergen established his reputation as a marine painter with depictions of the Battle of Jutland (31 May-1 June 1916). When the Imperial German Fleet returned home, he was in Wilhelmshaven and asked officers involved in the battle to give him detailed accounts of the events.'
Remembered on