[Skip to content]

Person Details
Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire
Richard Walters, known as 'Dick', was born in 1892 at Burton upon Trent and was the son of Richard, a railway shunter, and Fanny Walters, nee Harrison. The family home at the time of Dick's death was 4 Authors Terrace, Palm Street, Basford, Nottingham. His father Richard was born in 1862 at Stapenhill, Derbyshire, and his mother Fanny Harrison was born in 1857 in Burton upon Trent. They were married in 1882 at Burton upon Trent. Fanny brought two children to the marriage, Agnes Harrison b1875 and Clara b1877, and went on to have the following children with Richard, Sarah Ann b1885, Fanny b1887, George b1889, Richard b1892, Bertha b1895, Lucy b1898 and William b1900; all were born in Burton upon Trent. In the 1911 census the family are living at 4 Author Terrace, Palm Street, Basford, and are shown as Richard 49 yrs a railway shunter, who is living with his wife Fanny 54 yrs and their children, George 22 yrs a brewer's labourer, Richard 19 yrs a brewer's labourer, Bertha 16 yrs a slip winder in lace trade, Lucy 13 yrs a scholar and William 11 yrs a scholar. Dick's brother George died on 5 January 1919.
in the 1911 census he is a brewer's labourer
25 Mar 1918
850651 - CWGC Website
4th Bn The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)
Private Dick Walters enlisted at Nottingham whilst residing at New Basford, he served with the 4th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and died on 25th March 1918, he is commemorated on the Poziers Memorial, Somme.
His elder brother George Walters served with the 38th Labour Company, Labour Corps. He was discharged from the Army on 22nd November 1918 and died on 5th January 1919. Nottingham Evening Post, 9 January 1919: ‘Inquest on Nottingham Soldier Adjourned. An inquest was opened yesterday on George Walters, 29, a discharged soldier, whose home was on Egypt-road, and who died on Sunday. His sister stated that deceased had served with a labour company in France for nearly two years, and was discharged in November. This was all the evidence taken, and the Coroner then intimated that the inquest was adjourned for a fortnight.’ (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk)
Remembered on