[Skip to content]



Gary Tranter - October 2012

Road junction, Main Street, Ossington, Nottinghamshire, NG23 6LJ. The shrine was built by Messrs. Smith & Son, builders, undertakers and stonemasons of Millgate, Newark, and was constructed of Clipsham ashlar limestone. The shrine has the names of the 10 men from the village who died in the Great War on the side facing the road and the names of 21 men from the village who served and returned on the faces either side. It was unveiled on 6 March 1920. The memorial was listed Grade II in 1985. A grant offer by the War Memorials Trust Grant Scheme in May 2018 supported by voluntary donations contributed to a project to clean and re-point the memorial as well as selective deepening and sharpening of lettering. Source: War Memorials Trust Bulletin No. 84 February 2020 (WMT memorial reference WMO/251137).

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

Evelyn BROWN - James Evelyn Brown

W F Evelyn DENISON - William Frank Evelyn Denison

William DRABBLE - William Drabble

Walter FOX - Walter Fox

Tom GASH - Thomas Gash

Fred GASH - Fred Gash

Edward GODSON - Edward Godson

George HARDY - George Arundale Hardy

Edward HARDY - Edward Hardy

Harry HOLT - Harry Holt

Photos
  • Gary Tranter - October 2012
    Ossington - Village Shrine - Gary Tranter - October 2012
  • Image shows the names of the 10 men who fell during the Great War. Courtesy of Peter Gillings
    Ossington Village Shrine - Image shows the names of the 10 men who fell during the Great War. Courtesy of Peter Gillings